24 inch iMac FACTORY water damage or WHAT?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mackme, Dec 3, 2011.

1. mackme macrumors newbie

My 2009 iMac cooling fans were getting a bit noisy so I decided to take it apart and give it a spring clean.

When I pulled the LCD off I noticed a lot of discoloration on the video card and the main board has a few patches of what looks like corrosion or water damage. The metal vents above the video card had a brown discoloration on it that wasn't dust.

This computer has been apart once previously to replace the HDD by an apple techo, apart from that it has been sitting on my desk it hasn't been outside in the rain!

I live in a muggy climate (HK) but it's running most days unless I am away on holidays.

Is this corrosion do you think? Is it normal considering my climate? Did it get wet at the factory?

The computer is working fine with no problems whatsoever but it will be outside applecare next year and I don't want it to blow up after that.

Before I get in touch with apple I would like your opinion as to whether this is normal or not. Here's some Pic's

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

That's very odd. I wouldn't even think that a high amount of humidity could cause that much condensation. However, I remember when I upgraded the RAM to 2GB in my first MacBook shortly after purchase (this was 2006, hence the 2GB) it had something similar to that around the RAM slots. I basically just got some isopropyl alcohol and swabbed the area.

I'm guessing the computer IS still working, correct?

Hopefully Apple helps you with this, but if they don't, I'd recommend cleaning it with some alcohol ASAP.

3. mackme thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, still works fine, I ran Tech Tool Pro 6 with no probs, if I hadn't pulled it to bits I wouldn't have known any different........ thks