24 inch intel iMac - Apps hanging - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dinomarcel, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Dinomarcel macrumors newbie

Just two months ago, I purchased a 24" intel iMac. And it ran perfectly until about a week ago when applications started hanging (such as iTunes, Garageband, Final cut pro, and Adobe after effect). I wind up having to restart the computer over and over and over again. And that shouldn't happen with a near brand new iMac. I have a feeling it has something to do with the partition I have with windows using boot camp.

I'm thinking on backing up the files I need (such as documents, music, and movies) and re installing Leopard with the discs they gave me. Is this a good idea? Should I do anything else? And if I do re install the operating system, should I know anything before hand?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I wouldn't think that applications hanging up are due to your Boot Camp partition. Are all your software updates up to date?

3. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

First i'd just check the activity monitor and see if there is some process that is eating up everything. if not, then i would go ahead and backup and reinstall leopard. It's really easy... just put the disk in and go.

4. Dinomarcel thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure everything is up to date. But like, even the simplest tasks (like opening safari while im burning a CD) will freeze it and make me restart.

I think i'm just gonna backup, and re install.

Also, it might have something to do with some faulty plug-ins or preferences in Final cut, or AE.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's probably a good idea then.

6. Dinomarcel thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked activity monitor and everything looks okay. I really don't know much about that stuff, and what to look for. So I'm probably not the best judge.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Click on the CPU column so that the highest CPU usage is at the top. Is there anything really high?

8. Dinomarcel thread starter macrumors newbie

9. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Another place to look is to run the Console application (Applications>Utilities) and look at the Console Messages section while you're trying to run an application that freezes. Sometimes an entry in there will give a clue as to what's going on

10. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

are you just running out of disk space since you made the partition? Things will slow djwn considerably if the os doesn't have much space to work with

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ good observation. I think a fresh install of Leopard is your best bet.