Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not one to complain about imperfections, but have any 24 inch LED users (apple Display) Had this problem?

Ive had my display for less than a year, and it keeps getting worse. I brought it into Apple when I first received it but they said it was not bad enough to replace. When I asked how bad it needed to be they said "Our manufacturer wont allow us to say."

But does anyone else have this burning looking problem?

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 140

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I'm not one to complain about imperfections, but have any 24 inch LED users (apple Display) Had this problem?

Ive had my display for less than a year, and it keeps getting worse. I brought it into Apple when I first received it but they said it was not bad enough to replace. When I asked how bad it needed to be they said "Our manufacturer wont allow us to say."

But does anyone else have this burning looking problem?

I might be wrong, but doesn't the display qualify as a desktop system so you don't have to physically bring it into the Apple Store? If so, just call Apple again and tell them what's happening, in no way would I live with that monitor from day 1. Clearly something is wrong, and you should get it replaced before your warranty expires.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I might be wrong, but doesn't the display qualify as a desktop system so you don't have to physically bring it into the Apple Store?

No, a display is a display, not a computer. Apple's "home service" applies only for desktop computers such like Mac Pro and iMac.

Edit:
BTW, that's not what is considered a burn in, rather than a fading backlight. I had the same issue (plus real burned in images) once with my 30" Cinema. Apple replaced the whole unit and I had a brand new display within 18 hours on my desk.
You'd need AppleCare for the display, though. Otherwise a repair will be pretty pricy.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
BTW, that's not what is considered a burn in, rather than a fading backlight. I had the same issue (plus real burned in images) once with my 30" Cinema. Apple replaced the whole unit and I had a brand new display within 18 hours on my desk.
You'd need AppleCare for the display, though. Otherwise a repair will be pretty pricy.

OP has had the display less than a year. No way is that backlight acceptable. Apple should either fix, replace or refund. Take it back and don't take no for an answer. Apple's policy with its supplier is Apple's problem, not yours.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
OP has had the display less than a year. No way is that backlight acceptable. Apple should either fix, replace or refund. Take it back and don't take no for an answer. Apple's policy with its supplier is Apple's problem, not yours.

I'm taking it in tomorrow. Hopefully they can help me some how! :(

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Hi

That looks like dirt actually inside the LCD panel, I have had an iMac do this and a LED ACD 24", both where returned to have new panels fitted.

The iMac so far this dirt inside the panel has not returned.

But on the 24" LED ACD it returned within a year :( and will have to go back again before the Applecare runs out for yet another new panel.

I have never ever seen this on Apple laptops.

I love Apple computers etc, but their displays sorry to say for me do not come up
to the mark for money laid out :(

It also seems to me that the more the screen is used the faster this effect happens.

Good luck in getting it fixed but providing you have your Applecare they should fix it no
problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.