24 Inch LED monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theagentx, May 10, 2009.

1. theagentx macrumors newbie

theagentx

Anyone have one of these?

I would like to know if you REALLY like it. I am torn between a Dell Ultrasharp 24" and the Apple LED one.

Is it really worth the price?

Thanks

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

my friend the guys here don't like people to ask questions that has been asked many times. Personally i don not have the this display (I have the HD cinema which is great)

I f no body answer you look at this link asking same question:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-679432.html

good luck whatever you buy

3. theagentx thread starter macrumors newbie

theagentx

4. dhuang macrumors member

I have the Dell Ultrasharp 24" and my friend has the LED ACD 24". I've spent quite some time with them and here's my opinion:

If you have a Macbook, you'd probably want the Apple display just because how it was built around it.

Both displays are 8-bit, the Dell is a S-PVA panel, and the Apple is a H-IPS panel. Viewing angles on both are superb, but you will get colorshifting (Red will look magenta) with the Dell if you look at it from a difficult angle. If you are in design, you could spring for the Ultrasharp, but generally designers want IPS panels because the slightly better image quality. Both monitors are far better than cheap TN panels.

The Ultrasharp is height adjustable and can pivot 90 degrees. I've never used it in portrait mode though.

The Ultrasharp also offers a plethora of connections if you want to hook up stuff and use PIP, split screen, etc.

The Apple display has built in speakers, isight camera, and a mic.

It's all up to you. I used to have a PC and my Mac hooked up to my Dell 2407, and it was easy to switch between the two. But now I just have a Macbook, so I wouldn't mind the Apple Display.

5. the2j macrumors member

the2j

I have one and I have been really pleased with it thus far.
    I know it is a lot of money (I paid $799 with a student discount), but I feel that I made a wise purchase for the following reasons:

1. Great panel with great color and viewing angles!

2. Apple's build quality.

3. Built in magsafe. I haven't even touched my original one in months except when I am traveling.

4. I bought it at the same time that I bought my MBP so I got it covered under the same applecare agreement for free.

5. Built it eyesight and speakers. I have very little desktop space so it is nice to be able to use my computer in "clamshell" mode and still have access to the camera and surprisingly decent speakers.

It may not be the best choice for everyone, but it was for me.

Hope that helps with your decision

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I have the 27" UltraSharp. I appreciate the range of inputs that make it a much more useful item than an ACD. Mic, Speakers, iSight and LED.... not enough. I want to be able to use my display on more than just a Mac!

My PlayStation 3, Mac and Wii all connect to the same display over HDMI, Component and DVI :) There's still another DVI port, VGA, DisplayPort and Composite left spare. Oh, and it has a built in USB hub and card reader! The display is also height adjustable, in addition to tilt.

Go Dell, it's one thing they've done right...

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the LED Apple display is great but severely limited. If you're someone who likes to have plenty of options or at least keep them open for the future, I would recommend the Dell since it's a lot more compatible with various devices etc. I particularly like that the Dell is height adjustable

However, if you simply want a display to work with your macbook and don't care for what happens down the road or having options to connect the display to other devices or computers then get the Led display.

The one saving grace I can say about the led display is its quality h-ips panel which presents brilliant pictures. Other than that, it doesn't have much going for it.

8. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

You may want to check out HP's LP2475w 24" S-IPS/H-IPS display. Good luck. :)

9. paduck macrumors 6502

They aren't quite comparable products:

Dell Ultra Sharp 24" Monitor
    - 4 USB ports
    - 9-in-2 Memory Card Reader
    - Multiple monitor input options (DisplayPort, VGA, S-video, HDMI, etc.)
    - ~$480 (down from $600 with new "instant savings")

Apple Cinema Display 24"
    - 3 USB ports
    - iSight camera and Mic
    - 2.1 speakers
    - MagSafe power connector for MacBook
    - MiniDVI port input
    - ~$850

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Mini-DisplayPort.. a little different to Mini DVI

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I have the LED Cinema Display, and it's a good monitor but it is very expensive for what it is. I bought it a couple of months ago and with the 17% education discount it was cheaper than the Dell option.

However, I am becoming concerned with mini-DisplayPort. Apart from Apple, only one other monitor manufacturer is producing displays with it and neither ATi or nVidia have shown any real desire to support it. They have the ports on the cards which Apple sells for the Mac Pro, but nVidia has announced a new GTX card to sell for the Mac Pro which doesn't include it.

I also think like most of Apple's current products it is extremely ugly. The black rim around the edge looks ridiculous and it's a shame because the old displays were possibly some of the best looking any company has ever produced.