24' intel imac dying -

Discussion in 'iMac' started by teddyofindy, Jul 27, 2012.

1. teddyofindy macrumors newbie

I bought the 24' intel imac when it first came out the end of 2006, and used it ever since, mostly for web browsing, managing pictures and musics using iphoto and itune. A few weeks ago, I noticed the slowdown when I using safari, and it has been slower and slower since. I realized this was due to the dying of the hard drive, so I backed up my data immediately (painfully slow but I did it) when I got a chance.

Now what I need you guys advise. I don't know if it is worth to get it fixed and if so how, considering it is a old mac still with Tiger on it. I am not tech savvy, so I don't know if I can just do a resinstallation of the OS, or should I put in a new hard drive. any recommendation for that? How much would it cost?

any comments and suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. excommie macrumors regular

Get a new HD or SSD. If you don't want to open it up - SSD over Firewire works extremely well. You won't get the max speeds, but most applications open in single bounce, computer boots in less than 25 seconds over FW800.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

If it is still usable and you don't feel the need to upgrade to a newer machine, then I would definitely recommend getting a new HDD. If you live near a geek squad, get them to do the install for you($50). All you have to do is choose a HD and you can get one that matches the one you have now(Serial ATA 1.5Gbps) but this one is 320GB capacity from newegg.com for $179.

4. NatefromRI macrumors newbie

5. teddyofindy thread starter macrumors newbie

My iMac was definitely useable before the HD failing. I don't want to spend much on a replacement HD, defintely not SSD. I don't know if the following HD will work as a replacement. My iMac is the late 2006 white one, 2.16ghz intel core 2 duo with 250gb serial ATA drive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00461G3MS?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

6. RedCroissant Suspended

I don't know if that one will work or not because I'm not sure if SATA III works with Serial ATA connections. If anything, contact a geek squad or someone that specializes with Apple stuff and ask them. That's what I did before I decided on mine. And if that one works, then awesome deal.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

Good news for you! I was doing some research and saw that SATA, SATA II, and SATA III are all compatible and that there is no difference in the cables either. SO you should buy that drive, and then get the geek squad to install it. then once you reinstall the OS, just restore it from backup or migrate your files back onto it.

8. teddyofindy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I was reading the review on amazon and it seems that some people had used the drive to replace the broken intel iMac HD ( in paticular the Late 2006 model). I feel reassured now. Will go ahead make the purchase.

9. RedCroissant Suspended

Great! Let me know how it works out.

10. teddyofindy thread starter macrumors newbie

Now it comes back to life. Thank you for your help.

11. RedCroissant Suspended

That's great! Does it feel like a new(ish) machine again?

12. teddyofindy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it seems so. I changed the HD and reinstalled Tiger last night. Everything went smoothly. I haven't had a chance to move the backup to the new HD yet. Will do tonight after work. I am very happy that my iMac comes back alive!!! I don't need to wait anxiously for the new iMac coming out (when will it happen??? )

By the way, I did a DIY following the youtube video. Everything was pretty easy. Saved me a few bucks as well. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MijEjwDk5Is&feature=youtube_gdata_player

13. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

maybe also consider, upgrading the ram, and the operating system to snow leopard if you can (by far my fav on the 2007 imac my dad uses) :)

And for the imac release dates, you can see them here, and roughly guess http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

14. teddyofindy thread starter macrumors newbie

Might be a good idea to do the upgrade. but I am going to hold off and see what the upcoming imac is going to offer...

15. RedCroissant Suspended

If you decide to upgrade, I'll take your current machine off your hands! :) Selling all of my other electronics and computers except for my and my wife's iMac.