24" IPS LED Backlit Monitor Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dr McKay, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Im looking around for a 24" Computer monitor, for a Windows Laptop. I want to leave it in a stand like the MBP "clamshell" mode.

But I want a monitor which is

• 24 Inches
    • IPS Display
    • LED Backlit
    • HDMI Connection
    Ive seen the Apple Cinema Display at work, but the MiniDisplay is an inconvenience, as the only Non-Apple laptop Ive ever seen use one is the HP Envy. Every time I end up looking, I end up being directed to the Apple Cinema Display, the Dell Ultrasharp, or dead ends with TFT Panels, and using a TFT panel annoys me when I see it from a bad viewing angle.
    Any other good monitors out there you wuld recommend that are available in the UK?

Edit: I stumbled onto this, but it says the panel type is TN, not IPS, does this mean it will have horrible viewing angles?
    LG Monitor

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Yes. Horrible viewing angles and overall terrible image quality in comparison to IPS or VA panels.

There are no LED backlit IPS panels other than the Apple Cinema. If you really want an LED (why exactly?) you have no other option.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

That's not true. LG have a relatively new LED backlit IPS monitor series, I believe they do a 20, 22 and 23 inch. No 24's though and they're all in 16:9, not a problem for me personally, but I know some people like 16:10.

Alternatively there's an array of RGB backlit HP Dreamcolour monitors just shy of $2000, but they're fairly hideous.

I'm also confused, what's the desire for LEDs OP?

4. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Because I know basically nothing about Monitors, and after seeing the colour and picture quality, I looked up into what types the ACD is, and assumed monitors have to use those technologies to get the vivid colours and rich blacks with the good viewing angles.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

That's cool, it really depends on what you're gonna be using it for!

The Cinema Display has got a lot going for it aesthetically, but it's incredibly expensive and it's pretty limited in terms of capability. It really depends what you're looking to spend.

I know you said you were being pointed toward the Dell Ultrasharps, that's probably with good reason. They tend to offer the most affordable solutions for the price.

An example is the U2711, it uses the same panel as the iMac and ACD 27" but it's cheaper than the ACD and has HDMI, displayport, DVI, VGA inputs, as well as having around 6 USB slots. The main difference is that it is anti-glare coated, so not reflective like the ACD. It's also CCFL backlit, which isn't as power efficient as LED, although provides a wider range of colour.

Whether that's a big deal is really down to whether or not you do print or broadcast work.

There's also the U2410, another Dell Ultrasharp, I had one for a while, but it was too bright for my eyes so got rid of it, that said, it's used quite frequently by people doing print and web work and is an excellent monitor for the money, especially now it's had several revisions.

If you're looking for something glossy, I think it's pretty much the ACD or bust.

6. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I stand corrected. Wasn't aware of any other IPS LED panels.

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Sorry for the slow reply, was doing a bit of spider removal.

Viewing angles on most IPS panels should be around 178 degrees. One thing to consider is, are you going to be looking at it from an unusual angle? Most people I know look at monitors from the front! :D

Only direction you'll notice real degradation in picture quality on an IPS is vertically and that won't be an issue, unless you're freakishly tall and you like your monitor at your ankles.

I used to worry a lot about similar things but once I'd researched it realised that there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference until you start spending lots and lots of money, and at that point it'll be past the stage of diminishing returns for average computer users.

9. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I was wondering about viewing angles, because at night I sometimes flip the screen around to face the bed, and watch a movie. Because the desk is about a foot higher than the bed, and it doesnt tilt down much, the colours look a bit 'off'.

And when it gets to a dark scene, I really notice the backlight.

10. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the LEDs used most often are white ones. nice, provide brighter pics. but a really good combo is ips and rgb LED. i don't think something like that exists. and any ips screen will do for what you are looking for. doesn't have to be apple. dells are good. i believe asus has put out a 500 led IPS if LED is a completely necessity for you.

11. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I dont really know much about monitors so Im not sure if its completely neccessary, just would like to have amazing colours and blacks like the ACD.

12. Transporteur macrumors 68030

As already said here, you don't get "amazing colours and blacks" only because of a LED backlight. You get that from the panel, not the backlight.
    So get a decent IPS or VA panel and don't care about the backlight.

The only real benefit of LED is the fact that they are instant on (no warm up required) and don't degrade over time. Other than that, they aren't as good as you might think. Standard white LEDs (which is what you find in 100% of the consumer stuff) don't provide better colours (in fact CCFL is proven to be better) nor blacks as computer displays don't support local dimming in any kind.

13. EdbBob macrumors member

The thing about TN's bad viewing angles, isn't it's only problem. Most IPS run 24 bit RGB giving 16.7 mill different colors and shades. TN normally has lower bit depth, which could lead to banding.

IPS is the way to go, but don't get to fixated on the blacks. Many screen manufactures crunch the blacks in their default settings, meaning that you'll loose detail in the shadows.

If you wan't perfect colors and and blacks, you should consider buying a probe for calibrating. Even a cheap TN panel can output color and gamma close to perfect after calibration. Only thing is, you have to sit 100% still, and look only at the center of the TN panel in a 90 deg angle... ;)

I think IPS was developed by Hitachi, and the actual panels are made by very few factories, meaning, that you could buy most of the IPS monitors. Basicly they only differ, in design, USB hubs, tilt-ability etc.

If you do critical work on images etc., be aware that a monitor like the 30" ACD takes about 1/2 hour to reach full luminance after switching it on.

Best Regards

EDBBOB

14. jim4spam macrumors member

Lg ips236v

I just came home from a store with this LG monitor for 249USD and I'm very happy with it plugged into my laptop. It's picture quality is frankly very similar to our 2007 iMac 24" (very nearly identical to me, although my wife - the designer - prefers the iMac).

We couldn't go with the 27" apple monitor as it's incompatible with the older MacBooks (like mine) with the mini-DVI.

But anyway - I'm very happy with it!

review of his smaller brother: http://www.digitalversus.com/lg-flatron-ips226v-p357_10200_35.html

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The U2711 is actually not cheaper than the ACD. It's $100 USD more. ($1099)

Unless of course Dell has it on sale, then it'll normally drop to about $799-$899.