24" LCD for under $500 (for editing)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pat H, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Pat H macrumors member

I just got a mac pro (love it) but am still lamenting the money I spent. However, I currently have dual 17" 4:3 LCDs and was thinking about replacing them with a 24" wide screen since I'm having trouble properly fitting a PremierePro editing space. Since my wallet is currently recovering I can't afford to spend more than $500, so that eliminates an ACD, which I frankly think is overpriced. I've been looking at the Gateway FHD2400 and the Samsung 245Bw and have read both outstanding and horrible reviews for both. I simply don't know who to believe since I can't find an official review from any reputable hardware review site.

Does anyone have either to comment on their quality? I will be using these for editing and graphics so I at least want decent color (I will also be testing on a TV as well so the monitor isn't the only link in the quality control chain)

Or if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

2. errol macrumors 6502

errol

3. CST macrumors member

4. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

SOYO makes some quality LCDs sold through Office Max

This one will set you back $399.

Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Response Time: 6ms
    1 Year Warranty

Review is here.

Hope this helps.

5. tvbi macrumors member

I have this Soyo (Topaz S).. got it on BF at OfficeMax for $250. It has a S-PVA panel, which is 8-bit and much better than a lot of LCD out there with TN panel but of course not as good as a S-IPS (ACD) but a lot closer than any TN.

6. cydspal macrumors member

I like the looks of the Acer, but can someone tip me off as to what to look for in Contrast Ratio, Resolution, Response Time, etc.?

7. errol macrumors 6502

errol

Sure, you'd want a high contrast ratio. Typically monitors would have something like 800:1 or 1000:1. The Acer I posted has a great ratio at 3000:1. Contrast ratios determine the LCD's ability to display deeper levels of black colors (as far as I know).

Resolution - most 24" are 1920x1200, which is 1080p. The only thing higher I've seen are on the 30" LCD computer monitors (not tv).

Response Time - you want a lower response time, but generally most LCDs do this fine, unless you want to game. High response times (bad) create ghosting and nobody wants that. The acer I posted has a nice & low response time of 2 milliseconds.

Inputs -- You definitely will find DVI on all your choices, but I would also find one that has another HDMI input for future compatibility or if you would want to plug in say, a blu-ray player or a gaming console in addition to your computer.

Hope this helps!

8. cydspal macrumors member

Now you got me drooling over the Acer. How wonder how long that price will hold?

9. errol macrumors 6502

errol

10. DarkFlame macrumors regular

That acer on new egg looks great, but I'd like to offer you another option on new egg.

The new 24in viewsonic is great with colors, and since you mentioned it was for editing, I am assuming color is a primary concern.

Its like 10 dollars cheaper than the acer, but does not have as good contrast ratio. It has no bleed though, and no viewing angle issues. I recommend you go to your local stores and check out the samsung.. Its really bright and colorful but the viewing angles are horrible.

11. errol macrumors 6502

errol

.. But... but.. none of the ones you mentioned have HDMI, do they?

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I have this monitor, though the glossy type screen may not be good for you? You can use 10% off coupon at CC to get it for like 450.

13. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Oh, the possibilities with HDMI... I have a 22" Samsung and was going to buy another so I would have two matching, but this Acer is a beaut. [​IMG]

14. CST macrumors member

Nice, where can you find that 10% off coupon?

15. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I also have the FHD2400 with so many things hooked up to it. There are times it is on sale for $500 at CC.

Great Monitor for killing people in Call of Duty 4 on the PS3.

16. conancn macrumors member

If you can get someone in Canada, they can order the Samsung 245T for less than $500 +shipping. I'm looking for one people now. Good luck!

Samsung 245T is def. the best of the best among 24'

17. Pat H thread starter macrumors member

Ended up going with the 24" Samsung for 399 because I saw it in Sam's Club (they have a very liberal return policy, so I figured I'd bring it back if it was crap). The out of the box settings looked horrible, but once I adjusted the contrast and gamma settings within OSX is looks great. And no dead pixels either. I'm thinking it's a good solution for now.

18. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I got my FHD2400 when it was on sale for 500, like it is currently. Applied the AAA 10% off coupon, and got it for 450. If you don't have AAA, I bet someoen you know does and could get a code for you.
    www.aaa.com/circuitcity

19. CST macrumors member

Thanks, I'll check that out.

20. cydspal macrumors member

I think that I might (for now) go with keeping my 19" LCD hooked up to my old PC and go purchase the HannsG - 27.5" Widescreen Flat-Panel TFT-LCD Monitor Model: HG-281DJB for $550 at Best Buy for the new Mac Pro? I still just can't get over how much I liked the 24" Imac screen (22w x 20H) and this one gets me close at 26w x 20H, just hope its not too big.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Man, am I glad that I got TWO of those on Black Friday for only $500. Yeah, they're great panels; I didn't have any dead pixels on either, and the color gamut's nice. The only problem is, I still don't have my Mac Pro, so they're basically just sitting here looking awesome. I run my iBook off of them sometimes, but... I want my Mac Pro!!!

22. cydspal macrumors member

You got the Hanns G 27" for $500 on BF? Wow! Great job! So will the HDMI to DVI cable for the Mac Pro work ok, not loss of quality, etc?

Pat H, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No...? Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your Hanns G parade, but I got two of the 24" Soyos on Black Friday for $500. I'm sure they'll discount your panel soon, too!

24. cydspal macrumors member

No problem, I don't see this one (27.5") going much lower, its on sale at Best Buy for $550. I just hope its a good clear monitor.

25. Pat H thread starter macrumors member

lol, no problem. I already made my purchase, so feel free to hijack all you want :D