24" LED Cinema Display, brand new, for $600

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CristobalHuet, Mar 19, 2011.

1. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Hey,

I found someone online looking to sell a supposedly brand new 24" Apple LED Cinema Display for $600. The site is kijiji.ca, so like cragislist.

Would you go for it, if you were in the market for an Apple monitor to go along with your MacBook?

There's also the older 20" Cinema Display (matte) available for $500.

Decisions, decisions. :p

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Same price as refurb. Not the greatest deal, I would try to get the seller to lower the price by 50-100$.

3. CristobalHuet thread starter macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

But if a refurb is the same price, wouldn't this be a better deal considering it's brand new?

4. hamean macrumors member

not when the refurb is essentially new according to Apple and you can buy Applecare for it.

The "new" monitor on craigslist may or may not be actually new. It could just be unused and not able to get a warranty. The safe bet here is to get a imac 24 refurb and get apple care. then you don't have to worry about it for the next three years. You could pay this guy $600.00 for a new monitor and it may or may not be new, and may or may not work right, and then may or may not be covered if it doesn't work right.

5. CristobalHuet thread starter macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I was just thinking about this: what if it doesn't work? He says he bought it in 2010, but realized it was not compatible with his PC...what if it's defective? I'm cooked if I can't get AppleCare on it.

Maybe I'll just back off, thanks for your good points.

Only problem is, I wouldn't know where to get a refurb 24 inch, seeing as Apple doesn't sell them anymore. :(

6. hamean macrumors member

yes they do sell them... http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB382LL/A

put that link on your bookmarks and check it in the evenings US time... there have been several sold this week.

7. CristobalHuet thread starter macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Interesting. Problem is, I'm Canadian. And also, how often/long do these openings usually last? :)

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Was the 599$ Canadians too? It's 699$ in the Canadian refurb store so if your deal is 599CAD too, it suddenly became a good deal again ;) There was 24" ACD in refurb store 17 hours ago. You can use Refurb.Me to track them.

9. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

I bought mine from the refurb store, and I'm pretty sure it was new. It seemed like they were selling off new stock as refurb when they were discontinued.