24" LED Cinema Display dead

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PAUSIMS, Feb 9, 2011.

1. PAUSIMS macrumors newbie

Hi folks :)

I' ve got a 24" LED Cinema Displays that's 2 years and some days old, so it's out of warranty since a week or so. I've got it plugged to a 15" Late 2008 MacBook Pro (the first unibody, 2.8Ghz).

During the last month, the screen started flickering a bit randomly, it used to stop automatically. Since the last 3 or 4 days it went worse and the screen started flickering really often, and there wasn't any way to stop it. As I use it for watching films, etc. I just let it sleep a bit and in a couple of hours it was working again.

But the worst case scenario turned out to appear an hour ago, when I turned on my Mac the screen is totally black. However, my Mac recognises it as the Mac is acting as a second display (no dock, no menu bar). I'm sure it's not MacBook Pro-related, as I plugged the MBP to my 27" iMac in target mode and it works without flickering or any problem at all.

I unplugged and plugged it with no luck. I'm pretty sure it will need a repair, but I just want to know if someone is experienced with displays and could please tell me if it looks like an expensive repair or it may be just the cable. I did some research and I found some cases about replaced logic boards, how expensive can be a logic board repair of the display?

As the display is two years old, I don't know if it's worth spending like 200 or 300$/€ in fixing it... if it turns out to be unfixable I will be really pissed off, those displays are far more expensive than the Dell ones for example, and I have some Dell display around here that's been plugged for like 8 years and it's still up and running :mad:

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Sorry to hear about your display. Sounds like a problem with the display's logic board. If I were you, I would sell it on eBay for parts, and use the $ toward a new one with applecare ;) Parts displays can be valuable to people who have a working logic board but have cracked the glass or LCD or to someone who will disassemble it and make a fortune selling individual parts (hinge, screws, base, glass, etc.)

3. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

My experience of Apple displays is that they are overpriced and second rate.

I will never buy another, either in iMac form or standalone ACD.

Even the laptop ones I have issues with.

4. PAUSIMS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers ;)

Drewsof07, I didn't remember the sell-for-parts option, I have to consider it. If repairing it is like 250$, I may sell it in eBay for like 250 or 300$ and just add the money I save from repairing it and buy a 24" Dell or something like that.

Washac, I'm also very disappointed, I purchased an Apple Display and I payed more than what it costed a same-size screen from another brand just because I thought the quality was far better, but now I'm learning that the quality is really, really poor and the service is also very disappointing.

5. dimme macrumors 65816

My experience with Apple displays are they are about the same quality as everyone else just more expense, because you are paying for the design.

6. WilsonPicket macrumors newbie

24" LED Cinema Display dead

I've got a similar problem. I foolishly turned mine off for a week and when I turned it back on, black smoke poured out of it.

After much research, I replaced the Apple display with an HP LP2475w, which is a new, exciting 24" display. I didn't want to spend extra on a 27" Apple display as all I need is 1920x1080 for video.

@dimme writes:
    "you are paying for the design."

It's been a bit shocking after buying Apple gear for so many years. This HP display is really not well designed at all. I don't mean it's not pretty - I mean it's functionally a bit stupid and complicated. Good design philosophy: simple, essential, do 1 thing well. HP design philosophy: complex, unnecessary, do 5 unnecessary things to stand out.

The stand is adjustable in 4 or 5 different directions: it spins to portrait and rotates independently of the stand. As a result, it's difficult to pick up or slide. The footprint is huge.

Apparently it's outstanding after setup. The setup software is PC only. Even the PDFs are wrapped in an EXE file!?!

I'm currently using an HDMI cable (misinformed - no one has heard of full size DisplayPort - should have got MiniDisplayPort to DVI) and the resolution is 1080p, but it's like a bad TV. Now I need another new cable and adaptor. The screen is also matte. In fact, it's much like my Cinema Display from 6 years ago, but clunkier.

I now face fixing my Cinema Display, or buying a used one on eBay (costs about the same as a new HP, wonder why?). Good, simple, functional design is essential.

7. DryEyez macrumors 6502

In all honesty, I would take this to an apple store now. Even though it's a couple weeks out of warranty I've heard of many many people receiving a free fix. If there's an accessible apple store close to you I would definitly try my luck and see what they say. Just explain you're upset that it died and that it's only just out of warranty. you never know :eek: goodluck whatever you decide