24" LED Cinema Display or 30" ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jackiecanev2, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I have a few monitors already, but I sold my 30" ACD and I miss it. I've been lusting over the new 24" LED ACD lately, and I'm at a crossroads.

Semi-comparison:

24" LED LCD:
    + H-IPS panel, LED backlit
    + superdrive connectivity for my MBA
    - only 24" (same as my current 23" ACD)
    - glass screen

30" ACD:
    + screen real estate
    - possibility of dual-link DVI adapter fritzing out

I have a 2nd power adapter/speakers, so thats not really an advantage of the 24". I could wait for a refresh and see what happens to the 30", but I really don't feel like waiting. I could also pick up a 30" in the refurb store right now and save some dough. Anyone have any input?

2. Commonmind macrumors member

As a previous 30" ACD owner, and a new owner of the 24" LED Cinema Display, I can say with some confidence I'm glad I made the switch. Sure, you're losing some real estate, but how much of it would you actually use -- or rather, how effectively would you use it?

The 24" LED ACD is superb on all fronts -- save connectivity, which will obviously not be a problem in your case.

And though the glass screen is often frowned upon, I find it's not a problem during long term use. After a while your eyes adjust, and you no longer focus on the reflections; that, and the display is so bright it cuts through most of them on its own.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get the 30" Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP; it's only $250 more than the 24" LED.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

And you can get them for $749 refurbished from www.dell.com/outlet.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's assuming they are always available and right now they don't have it in stock.

6. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I have the 30" ACD, and I've seen the 24" LED in our office and the 24 is clearly superior.

Except for the fact that it is smaller, of course. :) If/when they produce a 30" LCD I will place my order immediately.

If I had to make a purchase today and choose between the two, I'd choose the 24.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Wanna trade? :D

8. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Well, I said if I were making a purchase today :)

But since I bought and paid for the 30 more than a year ago, I think I'll suffer through with it another few months until someone makes an LED backed 30. As long as I don't look at my colleague's 24s, I think I can survive.

But thanks for the kind offer. :D

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you need true color accuracy, then glossy 24" LED is not for you. I agree it's better, but some people that do graphic design need the color accuracy of the old ACDs.

10. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Yes, that may be true actually. I should have pointed out I don't need color accuracy. I just prefer the look of the 24. I also prefer the look of the glossy LED laptops, so that's no surprise.

Guess these new displays are for us developer types, not for professionals. :)

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's even got 3 years of AppleCare :D :p

12. relativist macrumors regular

I have a 24" LG at home, for a long time I've wanted a bigger monitor. When I went and checked out the new 24" from Apple and compared it to the 30" in the store, for some reason I liked the 24" better. I wanted to try gaming on each, but didn't get the chance.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The 30" ACD doesn't stand a chance in gaming. Slower refresh rates than the 24". Games tend to look better in glossy displays, not matte ones.

14. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I've had both and like the 30" a bit more. The extra screen real estate is always noticeable any perceived quality differences are negligible - at least in my mind.

15. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I would imagine that the new displays are not too far away. If you have a 23'' then I'd advise waiting until they are updated and go for that.

16. LEStudios macrumors 6502

LEStudios

I got a 2009 Mac mini I'm thinking of the same dilemma because I wanted the 30" so long now I got a Mac that can utilize it the bummer is that it is not HDCP but 24" LED is. I use my Mac for everything so I want to be able to playback HD Movies & TV Shows, but do some serious Photography work. :confused:

17. mojoejojo macrumors newbie

I was debating about this for a while, and when I picked up my mbp I jumped into the 30" ACD. Yes, it is a beautiful monitor, and I really do enjoy the picture. However, I just heard about the NEC LCD3090, and I am starting to have second thoughts. There are a couple of negatives about the NEC. It has been out for at least a year, and it does cost a little more than the ACD. But the quality of the picture is amazing, and it is much better than apple's monitor.