24" LED Cinema Display Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lexus, Oct 31, 2008.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Is it possible to use the display for a PS3 or something similar or is it for Mac use only?

Many thanks,

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

No. :(

The new display uses a Mini DisplayPort connector, which isn't a standard connection.

Perhaps the necessary adapter will be made, but isn't available ATM.

3. munckee macrumors 65816

:( Apple's lack of inputs is one of the main reasons I never picked up an ACD (though it seems like it'll be moot soon as I'm leaning toward an iMac). But for a while now I've had a macbook and a mini hooked up to the same dell monitor...

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Steve jobs doesn't want you playing PS3. He wants you to buy iPhone games. That's why there's no adapter!

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

LOL! :D

Well, he might be willing to sell us the adapters if there's more money in it. :p

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Apple loves selling you adapters. THey pretty much have ridiculously high margin. But they can still make more money selling EVERYONE $3 iPhone games rather than a few people an adapter...lol

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hmm... Margins from a 24" LED ACD + margins from an adapter vs. iPhone games. It might be enough gouging, err profit, to persuade Apple. :D :p

Hard to say though. How many iPhone games do users who also own PS3's buy anyway? :D :p

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I own a PS3 and I've spent tons on iPhone apps/games! PS3 requires too much time to set up/sit down with...I'm a busy person...and a quick iPhone game is great. They'll never take out nintendo DS (which I also own and is much better than iPhone games) but it's a good start. The problem with the DS is that it's an entirely other device to carry so I just don't feel like carrying it - my iPhone though I always have with me.

Apple won't sell that many 24" LED ACDs compared to iPhone games. The demand for those screens will be low because they are 2x the price of most other 24" displays (which are of lower quality but more inexpensive nonetheles). Apple will probably make more money in iPhone apps over the next few years than selling those screens.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Though I meant it to be funny, I thought it a valid question.

I really don't know what the statistics would look like. As memory serves, most of the gamers I've known were fairly hard core, and spent quite a bit of cash on them over time.
    As far as the potential on iPhone software, I agree. Software has historically proven to have higher margins than hardware.

Individual habits vary, but it may not matter, as the iPhone is a unique product, not directly comparable to a home gaming console anyway. ;)

As Apple likes to have their cake and eat it too, perhaps they will consider them non-competing markets, and sell both anyway. :p

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Yup, 100% agree with you there. The 24" ACD will do great in the market I think but I don't think Apple would abandon one market for another (software vs. hardware).