24" LED Cinema Display still work in Windows/Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jimmypopjr, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jimmypopjr macrumors regular

I'm having a Left4Dead LAN party this weekend and was thinking of picking up a 24" ACD. I was just curious as to whether it'll still work in windows/bootcamp?

Thanks so much!

2. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

Why wouldn't it?

3. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

Not too sure. I assume that it would, but I figured I'd play it safe and ask first.

4. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

Apple seems to be good about driver support for all hardware on the bootcamp side of things, so I can't imagine that you would have a problem..

5. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I don't see why it wouldn't. Screens are plug and play for the most part. I am just wondering why the LED Cinema display other than it being made by Apple. It isn't on the same level as the $4000 LED LCD's because it does not use local dimming so other than instant brightness it has very few advantages over a CCFL backlight display. I personally believe there are better displays at a much better pricepoint than it. If you just need a nice large display with decent color and wide view angles theres the Dell 2408wfp or the HP LP2475w which uses the same panel as the led cinema display and more importantly have a variety of inputs including displayport which futureproofs them. If you really need color accuray your better off spending your money on the NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi. Its a much better screen than the LED cinema and has the a/tw polarizer which means no off angle IPS glow. There is a valid reason to buy an apple computer, OS X, but there displays are just rebranded lcd's resold by apple. Theres also the Lacie 324 which is 10 bit screen which means more levels of black and white and billions of colors.

Sorry if I sounded anti Apple. I love their computers but just don't see a valid reason to prefer their displays.

6. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

I have the display, and it works perfectly in Windows. L4D runs great at its native resolution, too!

Thing is, when you look at standard gamut 24" IPS panels, the LED ACD is really the only choice for under $1000. Maybe it's overpriced, but it has no competition! (for those who like the look of IPS panels)

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

He named one, the HP LP2475w is under 1000$ and uses a H-IPS panel.

8. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I've used all types of panels. The problem with lcd is that one type of panel does not fit all. I have found that for almost anything but color critical work such as printwork, a decent s-pva screen is generally better and for the most part the television industry agrees, Sony almost exclusively uses S-PVA panels. I have also noticed that while s-pva screens do have a slight gamma shift in the first few degrees, their maximum viewing angle is larger than the IPS screens without a polarizer, because they maintain their brightness well and maintain their blacks. A common misconception about Vertical alignment panels is that their blacks wash out at angles, see video below. This is incorrect. They have a gamma shift which means that a curve is added to the color spectrum, but the tops and bottom of the spectrum remain at the same portion for the most part. For seriously color work I would point someone towards an IPS lcd, but for viewing photos, watching movies, or office work, i would recomend s-pva.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCprmxndaE

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

No he didn't... the HP is a wide color gamut display.

I'm kind of wondering why black would even bother making the anti-Apple display post here... It was a fairly straightforward question by the OP and it had nothing to do with the display quality.

There's a time and a place for everything.

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Who else makes a display that has the same level of brightness (AFAIK only possible with LED back lighting), a glossy screen, at that resolution, under $1000?

11. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Guys - got the display today and it's freakin' awesome. Did a clean install of XP, got Steam and L4D up and running and it looked beautiful. I gotta check for some updated video drivers since it didn't handle L4D as great as I hoped that it would, but this display is awesome. I hope to have something sweet to contribute to the 'post your 24" LED setup thread' sometime tonight.

And thank you for the input, it's much appreciated!

12. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

Hey, give these drivers a shot: (182.05) They worked great for me in Windows 7... maybe they're good for XP as well.

http://laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23057

13. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Trust me, the 2408wfp is bright as heck. On 100% it hurts my eyes if have to read on it very quickly. Also, the contrast ratio on the 2408wfp is much higher, the ACD does not actually have a 1000 to 1 contrast, its a bloated figure, so even without the glossy screen, it has better contrast. Also its not the typical type of matte. Like the Sony tv's it has that smooth shine to its when looked at from an angle. The ACD is alright but its using a crappy input setup and is not worth the cash.

The ACD would probably be a great graphics arts monitor if it weren't for the dumb glossy screen. You complain about wide gamut, but essentially glossy screen tries to emulate.

PS. I look forward to seeing the original posters setup.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

15. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Manufacturer constrast ratio is bullocks. The Dell 2408wfp had a measured constrat ratio of maximum 750:1 once calibrated to be color accurate. Also, the A1 revision of the same monitor did not fix all input lag it has, and this is one of the worst monitor there is for this :

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_2408wfp.htm

Sure it has tons of inputs and it's probably a very good monitor for the price, but it's not the be all, end all of monitors and the LED ACD isn't that much overpriced for people with MiniDisplayPorts.