24" LED Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macman4789, Nov 21, 2008.

1. macman4789 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Few questions on this new display.

I'm aware of the new connector thats needed for it. And Idont have it on my macs! :mad:

1. Can anybody tell me is there any advantages over this new connector (higher resolution?)compared to the DVI on my macbook pro and mini display port on my iMac?

2. Because I'm in the market for a new 24" screen, are any of you guys considering getting one of the new macbooks or pro's so that you can use this new screen? I'm considering selling mine to fund this.

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mini DisplayPort carries audio. It's the computer version of HDMI.

3. macman4789 thread starter macrumors regular

Is that the new port which is used in the new macbooks? If so what is the port on the back of the imacs?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The iMac currently has Mini DVI. The MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air have Mini DisplayPort. The Mac Mini and Mac Pro have the standard size DVI.

With the January update, the iMac will switch to Mini DisplayPort. The Mac Mini update, provided that the Mac Mini and Apple TV are not combined into a proper set-top-box with Apple's kick-awesome DVR patents, will also include Mini DisplayPort.

The Nehalem Mac Pro... might get regular DisplayPort, but will most likely get proprietary GPUs with dual Mini DisplayPort out that cost three times as much as their DVI counterparts.

5. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Has this been confirmed? I thought that I read on here that a poster tested the new LED display in the store and saw that the audio was transferred over the USB port. So essentially the three cables are for:

Power Cable - Power the MacBook/MacBook Pro
    Mini DisplayPort - Video
    USB - Audio and USB hub

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, since the regular spec carries audio and the mini is the exact same pinnage, I'd say yes. We'll need to wait for an actual Mini DisplayPort monitor to be released, though.

7. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

True, fair enough. I guess in this case Apple just decided to transfer the audio via USB for the new display.

But you're right. It will interesting to see what other manufacturers do in the future.

8. macman4789 thread starter macrumors regular

I've got a MB pro with DVI and imac with mini DVI. Do you guys think all the new apple screens will have this mini display port? And wont be compatible with my current computers?

9. paulyras macrumors 6502

While Display Port carries audio, beware that it's carried through USB on the new displays, not the mini DisplayPort. I'm not 100% sure if mini DisplayPort on the macs have the audio component active or not. It's the same pins as DisplayPort apparently, so it COULD carry it, but that's not how the LED ACD carries it (go to an apple store, fire up iTunes, and pull the USB cable on the display to see what I mean).

Actually, this isn't all bad though. It may enable adapters for DVI and miniDVI, and would allow those computers to still get audio on the new displays, though DVI itself doesn't carry audio.