24" LED Display as primary display in Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Daveecee, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Daveecee macrumors regular

I've got a 2.4 GHz unibody MacBook running boot camp, and I'd like to have my new 24" LED Cinema Display set as the primary display so that, when I play games, the system recognizes that the resolution can, indeed, go higher than 1280x800.

However, when I right click and hit Properties to see desktop settings and stuff, right clicking on the Cinema Display shows that "Primary" is grayed out; it seems that I can not set it as the primary display.

Does anybody have a solution to this? I'd rather not use the nVIDIA settings to turn off the MB display and only use the LED display, as I'd like to be able to have AIM and a web browser open on the MB screen while I game on the LED display. I suppose if this is not possible under Dual View atm, I'll make do, but I figured I'd check first.

Thanks!

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Use the NVIDIA control panel. It's the only way.

You can specify primary, secondary displays, resolution etc, and whether you want your MacBook display to be used as as secondary or not.

However, when you game, you won't be able to have your MacBook display as a working display for AIM etc. I'm pretty sure with all games, all other screens get blanked out when you make something full screen..

3. Daveecee thread starter macrumors regular

I clearly need some help here, because all I seem to be able to do to make the LED display the primary one is completely disable the MB screen. Could you please direct me through the settings if you happen to know them?

4. Tobler51 macrumors member

set ACD as primary is easy in usual settings, but when you do a restart its not default primary - so each restart you have to set it again as 1.

any solutions ?

5. harry454 macrumors 6502

nividia control pannel is the only thing I can think of or, display settings

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Make sure you installed the drivers and I can use Display settings to change mine just fine.