24" LED Display - Interchangeable Cables?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dangeresque, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Dangeresque macrumors newbie

Dangeresque

It seems that many of the signs point toward apple releasing new cinema displays alongside an upgraded Mac Pro early this coming year. I wonder why they would position such a relatively "high end" monitor (24" and LED, not considering glass) as a companion for only their MacBook line and not their other machines. My question is this:

Since the three-in-one cable is able to disconnect from the back of the display, it is possible that Apple is positioning themselves to simply introduce multiple sizes of the current LED display including cables with "vanilla" DisplayPort for MacPros? Or are we likely to see the entire Mac lineup (all desktops and laptops) migrate to Mini DisplayPort in the near future? It seems damn near impossible to remain competitive in the Pro market while only using graphics cards that are custom ordered / built to use Mini DisplayPort output. Your thoughts?

2. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Sadly, I think the Mac Pro will acquire the Mini DisplayPort, and It really won't be a "pro" machine anymore, just like the new MBPs.

3. Dangeresque thread starter macrumors newbie

Dangeresque

See, the reason I doubt that we're going to see them try to adopt Mini DisplayPort into the Mac Pro is that damn MagSafe connector. I just can't seem Apple leaving that on for any sort of desktop system. And the Mac Pro tends to use pretty standard (with slight variation) Windows graphics cards, right? Do any of them support DisplayPort out at this point?

I guess I'm asking if what I describe is technically possible, because if so, it makes a whole lot more sense to break the cables that come with the display down into different SKUs based on what you're connecting it to, as opposed to moving the entire line into a proprietary (relatively speaking) format video port. They had miniDVI last generation but kept the MacBook pro and (more importantly) the Mac Pro on that standard through the years.