24" LED has 2 bugs in it!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by courboy, Jun 28, 2009.

1. courboy macrumors regular

Hi everybody,

I have a 24" LED ACD and it has two bugs in it as of today. They are the small black bugs and are walking around freely, I think they'll die shortly and just be left in my screen- VERY frustrating.

What do you all suggest I do about this, it looks as though I have about 10 dead pixels on the screen as is their size. Not happy, I didn't expect bugs(!!) to get in my screen.

Adam

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You may want to consider putting the display in a very hot part of your house to persuade the bugs to leave. If you have a portable heater, you could put it in a smaller room facing the wall and the display next to the heater (Although make sure there is no direct heat hitting the display).

3. courboy thread starter macrumors regular

Well I tried this with no success. So I decided to go to bed and leave it, woke up this morning and they have gone :) I think your heating advice probably did work, thanks a lot - could not be bothered to have an argument with apple care!

4. courboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I spoke too soon, I have just spotted them again :mad:

Any suggestions on what approach to take now? Surely an expensive monitor like this shouldn't let bugs crawl in!? I have never experienced this with any other monitor/laptop.

5. dimme macrumors 65816

I sure with 10 dead pixels and 2 bugs Apple will replace it. Give them a call.

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Ha! I would be more bothered by the 10 dead pixels because those wont go away anytime soon. I also think you should try to get a replacement.

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'm thinking he's referring to the bugs' size as 10 pixels big, not that he actually has 10 dead pixels. My recommendation, do NOT add heat, it'll only weld these little guys feet to your screen when they inevitably die. If you can get your hand on some compressed air it may be worth a try unless they are actually inside the screen and not the glass cover, in which case, let Apple replace it provided it's still in warranty.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I believe they said that the bugs made it look as though the display had ten dead pixels.

And I would try the heat approach that I suggested earlier again. Although this time leave the display in the heated area for longer, how long did you leave the display with the heat originally?

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just go to an Apple store and tell them you have dead pixels. They might replace your monitor or at least open up the case and release the bugs and realize the true problem. Either way, it shouldn't cost anything to you.

10. hellrider macrumors regular

I got a replacement for having a SINGLE dead pixel. Very kind Apple Genius. So I think you are clear for a replacement (hopefully)

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Didn't you know the 24" LED ACD doubles as a bug zapper...:D

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Which is why I said not to put it in direct heat and not to make it too hot.

13. courboy thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if my first post didn't make things clear, there aren't any dead pixels in the display but the bugs that are behind the glass are roughly that size in total.

One of them has now gone thankfully but there is another one there and it now appears to be dead.

Has anybody else had this problem with their screen? I am surprised they are able to get in the gaps!

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If the bug is dead then you really can't do anything to get it out now. So the only option I see is to take it to a Genius Bar and see if you can get them to replace it.

15. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

"Excuse me, but the pre-installed bug has died, can you replace it?" :rolleyes:

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I was going to respond with a witty statement, but it seems that you didn't give the same response to the others above that gave similar advice so I'm not going to bother. I just read a thread today where they said a Genius replaced a product for just one dead pixel, the worst they can say is no. So I honestly don't see the harm in taking it into the Genius Bar to see what they say.

17. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

what kind of bugs?

did you know cockroaches love TV etc, and that is how they tend to get transfered from place to place, specially used TV's.

18. courboy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for advice I think I will try speaking to applecare, it's worth a shot.

The bugs are tiny little black things that are about 2/3mm long and really thin, so annoyed as my screen looks stupid with them planted there