24 LED, MBP and Applecare timing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by likegadgets, Nov 29, 2008.

1. likegadgets macrumors 6502

My partner recently purchased a MBP (Oct 08) and last week added Applecare.

Applecare includes a display "if purchased together". Obviously we could not purchase these together because the 24 LED display was just released (still awaiting delivery) and could not be ordered at the same time he got the MBP.

Anyway to add the monitor to the Applecare? He wanted all 3 items form the outset, but with the uncertainty of when the LED would be actually be available he could not wait as he needed the MBP.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If I understand you correctly you would like to know if you can purchase a display after the purchase of your notebook was made and see if the two can't be combined under one Apple care protection plan?

No you cannot. They must be purchased together as you said yourself. Basically if they allowed this then anyone who purchases a laptop today can add a display within that 3 years and be ok. It just can't work this way.

3. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

Actually, with applecare :apple: is somewhat flexible. They should be able to honor it. Just go back to the store or call apple and plead your case, good luck;)

4. likegadgets thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your responses. I do appreciate the requirement that they be purchased together, unfortunately Apple announced the products together but would not take the order for the monitor at the time of ordering the macbook pro. Will call and plead the case once the monitor arrives.

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I have done something similar, but I added the monitor within 2 weeks. I returned to the Apple Store with my receipt for my Powerbook and told them I wanted to purchase a 20inch Cinema Display.

This was before Apple offered extended warranties on their displays, and the only way to get a 3 year warranty on a display was to purchase at the same time as a Mac, on the same receipt.

Anyway, they "returned" my Powerbook (which was at home) and gave me a credit on an Apple gift card. Then they rang up the Powerbook and LCD on the same receipt, and I paid the difference for the display.

Apple is getting more customer friendly nowadays. Try to talk to a manager.