Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unssw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
London
I've been using my M1 iMac more than 2 years, and now I need VESA adapter desperately.
I do not want to buy £15-20 third party adapter kits from amazon or eBay. Do you know Apple stores have a service for VESA installation?
I mean the original one that you can order at the beginning:
1688820481965.png

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Unfortunately, I don't think you can go back and forth between the VESA mount and the non-VESA mount (stand). It's not like the iMac Pro where they sold those sketchy "Apple-branded" VESA kits.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I remember reading that Apple will convert customers' Studio Displays at authorized locations post-purchase (though I'm not sure whether they're so unmodifiable that they're literally exchanging the products). But I haven't heard a thing about M1 iMacs. They're at least unmodifiable enough that there's a market for VESA mounts that simply augment the built-in stand.

unssw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
London
I checked "Self Service Repair" section and found the VESA mount part. It's £60 but the question is, how much should I pay for Apple store installation?

1688901639978.png

Reactions: picpicmac and rm5

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
I checked "Self Service Repair" section and found the VESA mount part. It's £60 but the question is, how much should I pay for Apple store installation?
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the VESA mount part on the Self-Service store is for replacing the mount on iMac's ordered with the VESA mount from Apple. There is no service to replace the normal stand with the VESA mount.

unssw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
London
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the VESA mount part on the Self-Service store is for replacing the mount on iMac's ordered with the VESA mount from Apple. There is no service to replace the normal stand with the VESA mount.
The service that I'm looking for is the removal of stand and installation of the VESA mount.
So, don't you think there is a service like that?

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
So, don't you think there is a service like that?
I don't think there is. I know there is a service for the Studio Display, and obviously the stand is removable on the XDR, but I've never heard anyone say that Apple offers it for the iMac.

During the entire lifespan of the thin Intel iMac's (2014-2020, excluding the iMac Pro), you had to choose between stand or VESA mount when you purchased it as the VESA mount was a custom build-to-order. Apple never offered a service to swap them out. I wouldn't be surprised if that continued to the M1 iMac.

unssw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
London
I don't think there is. I know there is a service for the Studio Display, and obviously the stand is removable on the XDR, but I've never heard anyone say that Apple offers it for the iMac.

During the entire lifespan of the thin Intel iMac's (2014-2020, excluding the iMac Pro), you had to choose between stand or VESA mount when you purchased it as the VESA mount was a custom build-to-order. Apple never offered a service to swap them out. I wouldn't be suprised if that continued to the M1 iMac.
Wow, that really makes sense. Appreciate that!
Thanks.

Reactions: theMarble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.