24"Monitor Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yanwoo, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Yanwoo macrumors regular

I currently have a 24" HP W2408h hooked up up my new unibody 15" macbook pro. I only bought it a 3 or 4 months ago.

I'm just not sure I'm happy with it - especially since the release of the Apple 24" LED.

I selected the HP with my eyes open: TN panel, seen it in person (running windows not osx) and the reviews on the internet are pretty good. Am not a design professional or anything - I spend a lot of time on it but my uses are pretty simple.

Next to my macbook pro screen it's just not as good. The fonts look a little blurry (especially if not viewed from straight on), i can't get happy with the color and sometimes it seems if there are lines moving vertically (not sure if that is the monitor or the macbook pro).

Thing is, if I sold it and bought the apple display I would have spent over $1000 ($450+$900-$300). I'm just not sure that is justifiable for what would probably be a relatively small improvement plus all the hassle of all this switching and the inherent risk in buying new screens (dead pixels, lighting problems etc.). BUT I am a self confessed apple fanboy and love to have all the latest gadgets :)

I am using this as much for therapy as getting responses. So thanks already :D

2. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I'll be the voice of reason - keep the HP monitor.

3. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Personally I like the Samsung monitors. And reviews are very good about them too.

4. dutchrazor macrumors newbie

Personally, I hate TN panels, my LG is a S-IPS and it's just great how good the viewing angle and colors are, viewing angle is especially important with 24" screens since you're further away from the edge.

Keep in mind the Cinema Display is essentially another Magsafe adapter as well ;)