24 month Contract

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nlr, Jun 7, 2010.

1. nlr macrumors 6502

I am on a 24 month contract with Vodafone UK and I got about 16 months left and I was wondering if there was a way to cancel without paying the full length of contact as I'm very unhappy with my phone.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Would Vodaphone be able to cancel the contract if they weren't happy with you as a customer?

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

^^ouch! Only way to get out of a commitment like that would be if they changed terms of service, etc. Otherwise you're kinda outta luck, sorry mate.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, what phone do you have? I believe you could call them and explain that you dislike your phone. However, if this is you disliking the 3GS iPhone and you believe this is how you'll get a new iPhone then I would say you have another thing coming.

A 24 month contract is a 24 month contract. At times certain carriers will give you an upgrade early based on your calling plan and your payment history. It can be said that the lower the plan the less likely you are to see your 24 months turn into say 12 months. My 24 months has turned into 12 months before I lowered my plan. I cannot say what it would have done now because my contract has been up for 9 months.

6. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

You're not even halfway in, you're extremely unlikely to get out this early.

rdowns may have been making a joke, but carriers have been known to drop people under certain circumstances. Do you have unlimited internet? If so, abuse it as much as you can by constantly downloading. Eventually they might decide that you're using too much and cut you off.

8. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Actually, there are quite a few ways they could do that. But either way, they're not nlr's paying customer so their dissatisfaction with him as a customer is positively irrelevant as long as he abides by the contract. His dissatisfaction with them as a service provider is a very different story.

9. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

Would it possible to keep my contract and buy a 3gs/4 on payasyougo and change my contract plan to suit it (In the mean time I will claim insurance and get a new boxed sealed 9700 and sell it on ebay)

10. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

You could buy a PAYG iPhone 4, it'll probably cost £450+ though. Whether or not you could change your contract is up to Vodafone. Committing insurance fraud is up to you, and not recommended.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm first off that is insurance fraud.
    2nd off those units they ship you for insurance are not new. They are refurbished so yet again you can not sell it as new on ebay. best you can do it is sell it as a refurbished phone.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, this got me thinking.

If you set up your phone to, say, constantly download torrents or act as a web server or something and abused the crap out of your unlimited data plan, they might cut you off like Comcast does. However, they'd probably also ban you from using their service again in the future, and this would be kind of unethical of you.

Just a thought though. :D

13. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

How is it insurance fraud? I pay monthly for insurance for my phone so if something is wrong with it they will replace it but instead of me using it this time i'm planning to sell it.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is fraud because you clearly have not lost your phone, or broke your phone or anything else. Instead you just want to get a new phone so you can sell it at a higher price.

This drives up the cost for everyone else.

15. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

Instead of making assumptions maybe you should ask me why I'm unhappy with my phone? Because its really slow comparing to my friends 9700 (same phone)

The only reason why I haven't claimed already is because you lose your unique bbm pin and contacts and I have tons.