24" or 23" display for photo editing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stevo8, Mar 16, 2009.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

I do a lot of photoshop and Lightroom and am looking to pick up a 2nd monitor to go with my 24" Imac. I don't really care that the 24" matches, I'm more concerned with the functionality of it when photo editing.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Well, I would go with the 24" ACD because it is glossy like your iMac's and it will show the same resolution (ppi) which I find important when editing photos in Photoshop myself.

David

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Is your iMac one of the latest ones with a mini display port? I have one on the new 24" ACDs and it is absolutely gorgeous.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

For photo editing, you want a matte display. so a used 23" ACD would be perfect. Glossy displays make the colors appear over saturated, and make the photo different then it really is. Go with a matte display, and you'll be much happier.

Don

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Matte finishes are nicer for photo editing. Glossy finishes enhance the color to some extent therefore not showing the true color of what you are editing. I have a two matte finished screens and am happy with them. I can see how it could get annoying switching your eyes from a glossy screen to a matted screen. But that's up to you to decide.

David

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I find if I edit photos on my matte display, they turn out much better then they do if I edit them on my iMac's screen. I have no problem switching between them.

Don

7. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm kinda leaning towards the 23" not only cause it's matte but also cause I could connect it to my MBP which I wouldn't be able to do with the 24.