24 " or not!

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by photomel, Dec 7, 2007.

1. photomel macrumors member

Is the 24" screen necessary for graphics work? I will be doing SOME graphics work woold you recommend the 24" as a necessary thing?

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

No, you can do graphics work on any size screen, the important thing is that the screen is good quality. I think that you will find a 20' cinema display more than adequate unless you really edit photos 10 hours a day every day at work.

3. thats nice macrumors member

It's not something you critically need unless you're going to be working with large files and don't like scrolling left and, right, up and down all the time. Personally I went from a 17" to a 24" and i usually have free real estate, although i've used virtual desktops (spaces in Leopard) ever since I knew about it, and that has made life a lot easier!

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'd actually encourage someone new to design (not sure if that is you or not) to start on a smaller display. With less real estate, it means less palettes can be open...which puts a premium on learning keyboard short cuts. When everything isn't "right there," you tend to learn them pretty fast.

5. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Good idea... but it is a significant investment. Plopping down $200 for a 17in when you could put down $150 more for a 24" seems illogical.

6. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Doesn't the 24" screen have better color depth (not dithered) than the 20"?

7. carlgo macrumors 68000

Isn't the 24" screen high resolution? Wouldn't that be nicer to work with for graphic or photo work? Or am I thinking about the wrong display here.

8. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

nicer to work on and critical are two different things. I did 80% of my design work for a while on a 15inch MacBook Pro, before i bought a 20" external monitor. Bug i've used everything from a 15" CRT to 22" CRT and 15" LCD to 24" LCD. The only critical thing there is in Design work, is that you have a good quality monitor. In this case, Size actually doesn't matter.

-JE

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you're doing page layouts, then the ability to see an A4 spread at full-size is invaluable. Get a good quality 24" monitor and you'll work faster, instead of constantly scrolling and zooming in and out.

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

A hi-res 17" MBP has the same resolution as the 24".

I would get that.

11. bluetooth macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

I agree. I have a 20" and am constantly zooming in and out all the time.

12. jimbo110 macrumors member

I own a 24" iMac, 15" mini mac and a 15" MacBook Pro. I have to say I made some great stuff on both 15". The 24" iMac is a real dream to work on. I would have to say the advantage with the MacBook Pro is the portability and working on different place can give some inspiration. Even to work on a different places in the house. To have a 24" can improve the productivity since you can have more windows open at the same time. Good luck with whatever you choose. 24" would never be a bad choice infact a good choice if you need a :apple: desktop.

13. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Honestly, that extra money can be spent on necessary software or new fonts. You pay such a high price premium... wait a few months and see if you want more real estate, and buy an external monitor if need be, after a few more client deals. 20" is really great.