24" to 27" Cinema Display + RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rmafive, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I love my new retina Macbook Pro, but I am being spoiled by the screen. Every time I dock my new computer into my 24 inch Cinema Display (1920x1200) my eyes have a hard time adjusting and everything looks pretty blurry. I read that the 27" TB display has far more pixels (3.7 vs 2.3 million pixels) and looks much clearer than the 24 inch display. If they do update the display with usb 3.0 and some other goodies, would it be a good upgrade? I am wondering if I would notice a difference. I know it will be about another 3 years until we see a retina thunderbolt display.

2. torana355 macrumors 68020

That is why i will not go near a retina MBP until retina's are the norm on most screens. Once i can buy a 27" retina display i will make the switch.

3. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

You'll probably be waiting for a while then! I just hope they update the 27" soon... my 24" is looking pretty outdated!

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I would also like to grab the next Apple display. I'm using a Samsung 1920X1200 26.5" display. I would really like higher pixel density, but the current ACD is dated by a little bit. Just enough to make me want to wait. Especially considering what Apple is doing with displays right now...

5. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

I'm confused.

Are you guys saying that connecting the rMBP to an external monitor is blurry like it's scaling the image? I understand that it scales the image to the retina display itself if you use the settings that are below or above the main best for retina display setting, but it doesn't make sense to me that it would scale for an external monitor.

I always thought that connecting to an external monitor just renders an image native to that monitor.

Can someone clarify this?

6. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not that dated; it has been out for under a year! The display might not be retina but it probably looks much better than 1929x1200 at 24 or 26 inches. All it needs is USB 3.0.

7. twigman08 macrumors 6502

No, what they're saying is that the display doesn't look as good as a retina display after using the retina display for a little while. Basically like using the iPhone 4/4S and then having to use someones iPhone 3GS. It's hard to do.

8. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

It's blurry meaning the pixel density is much lower than that of the rMBP. It renders the image native to the monitor like it should. Yet, "native to the monitor" looks like crap compared to the retina display on the new MacBook pro!

9. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

oh, ok! Phew!

I was a little nervous because I was about to take the plunge on the computer and need it to connect to my iMac at home when I get home from work.

10. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I am really hoping they announce USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Displays next month. My new rMBP news it so badly. ;)

Also OP, as someone who's spent a good deal of time with both the Retina and 27" iMac (same display as ATD) it's definitely not as jarring as what you're seeing with the 24". If you get close the Retina is obviously better, but I personally sit about arms length + 8" away from my 27" display and I think it still looks phenomenal. It'll definitely be worth the upgrade once they pack USB 3.0 in there.

11. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

I just hope they come out with a new 27 inch cinema display soon. Until then I will just sit my computer in front of my 24 inch display!