24" White Imac Longevity and Used Values

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SuperAcer79, Apr 11, 2008.

1. SuperAcer79 macrumors member

I mainly use a home computer for surfing the internet (with multiple IE/Netscape windows open at once) watching youtube videos, creating/listening to music cd's, and word processing. Money is not a concern but I am a value oriented purchaser in that I'd like to get the most out of what I spend. I'm coming from the Windows world where I would buy the best machine I could at the time and then replace it every 5 years. I was initiall attracted to the Mac Pro line, but they seem overpriced in general. From doing research, it seems like the sweet spot for me would be a white 24" Imac. I live in Arizona and the powerful sun coming into the room even with a 95% blockage sunshade would not be conducive to the new aluminum Imacs with the glossy screen. How long do you think a 24" White Imac model MA456LL released September 2006 with 2.16ghz Intel Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, NVIDIA GEForce 7300GT, Superdrive and OSX 10.4 will last before it shows signs of aging and obsolescence? Someone in my town has one for sale in in excellent condition with all software, manuals, packaging etc for $900. I priced out a new one (with a 2.0ghz processor) on Apple's website and it was $1299 plus shipping and tax. Is this a good price? Are there websites that shows used values of computers like there are for cars? Assuming the computer is used daily and is on 24/7, what percent should it depreciate each year? Is the Imac energy efficient when turned on 24/7 and put into sleep/hibernate mode when not around? Thank you all for your insights.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well you could try here.

Personally, I think $1,660 is way over the actual value for that machine though especially considering you say Apple has refurbs for $1299.

That said it is a steal at $900 if it is clean and in working order. I am assuming it is out of the one year warranty from when he purchased it, right? Does the machine have Applecare coverage?

If not and something like the logic board fails there goes $500.

3. SuperAcer79 thread starter macrumors member

Apple basically has his machine brand new for $1299 plus tax and shipping--no shipping if bought at local Apple store. He doesn't have any AppleCare warranty. I thought Macs were high quality and that warranties rarely get used, so isn't an Applecare warranty kind of useless and just pure profit for Apple? I've never purchased a warranty on any electronic and have also never had any issues thankfully.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I wouldn't say the mac pro is overpriced it's just over-specced for what you need.

5. beast macrumors member

go for it :D

From what you intend to do with a mac, that 24 inch imac will be more than capable and at $900 that is a bit of a bargain.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The answer to your question is no. I didn't buy Applecare on my first Mac (a 20" Intel Core Duo iMac) and the logic board fried 6 weeks out of the one year warranty. I did buy it for my current 24" aluminum iMac and I will buy it for every Mac I ever buy again from now until forever.

Anyway, we're not about hijack this thread with another "Is Applecare worth it" debate. It's been beaten to DEATH on these forums.

Here's a recent thread if you want to get into it.

Oh, and I recommend Applecare for refurbs too. ;) As for your friend's deal I think it will be a judgement call on your part. $900 is an excellent deal for that machine but any iMacs from the iSight G5 to the current line are not easily user-serviceable. If the machine was well cared for there is no reason to expect it will go bad on you. You just need to remember that if it does Apple charges big bucks for out of warranty repairs. If ANYTHING like a graphics card goes bad Apple has one repair they perform: logic board replacement.

Since iMac Applecare can be bought for $120 at L.A. Computer (or even less on eBay) and extends the coverage for a machine from one to three years I think it is an excellent value. It is not your typical extended warranty. If anything goes bad Apple sends a box for the machine and then quickly fixes it and ships it back.

I already had the LCD panel on my 24" iMac replaced for a smudge on the screen. That was under my Applecare plan but technically I'm still in the one year warranty.

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

superace, i have that machine and given your described uses, it will last you a long, long time.

i love mine. works great, looks great.

great buy.