240 fps slow mo; GoPro 3 Hero vs Iphone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luffytubby, Sep 13, 2014.

1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I'm pretty floored at the video capabillities of the Iphone 6 Plus. So much if I wonder if I should hold off getting a GoPro 3 to use as an action camera?

Has anyone else thought about this? I mean - Is there even any sort of cases in development for stuff like this. The idea of strapping your Iphone to your face or body seems a bit crazy, but the image stabilization really looks amazing. I wonder what the quality of it would be.

As I am getting older I find myself stripping away more and more of my gadgets in favor of AIO devices, so if the Iphone 6 Plus video capabillities would be somehow comparable to GoPro, that would be a major win for me. I need fewer cables, chargers and gadgets in my life...

2. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Will you buy the gopro 4?

3. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

they havent announced specs for it yet, so I dunno. But maybe if they feel the heat from Iphone (with the right cases) they might step up the plate?

4. cynics macrumors G4

If you question this you have no business with the gopro anyway.

The iPhone is infinitely more fragile. Mounting options are severely limited. And the size is ridiculous, it would be like a sail mounted to your head/arms/helmet/moly/etc

5. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Agreed, I have a note 2 and I couldn't event wear arm running bands with it. For adventure camera use will have to be limited to a chest harness

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

7. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Well,

I was just asking. Maybe somebody knew about some sort of enclosure or case that protects the Iphone in the same way the GoPro is protected.

8. edsai macrumors newbie

I'm debating the same thing. I googled around and found Hitcase which looks to be a pretty substantial shockproof and waterproof case. I'm sure for really extreme stuff, a GoPro is more durable but for moderate action use, something like a Hitcase would suffice. Looking for opinions.

9. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

wow that's pretty cool stuff.

10. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

People comparing the two cameras don't know what they're talking about. The GoPro's in another league entirely.

11. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

I just went through this decision process and opted for a GoPro Hero 3+ Black. There is definitely some overlap in capabilities, but with the GoPro, I mount it, turn it on, and capture for a couple of hours and don't worry about where the phone is, how much charge I have left, whether or not I might drop it etc..etc..

Plus it would REALLY annoy me to get a call right when that perfect moment I've been trying to record happens. In the end, I think it boils down to how much you would want to use one or the other. I use my GoPro all the time. For my purposes, a dedicated device was the only right answer.

12. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Iphone would look so stupid on my snowboard helmet.

For a static mount in a plane or a car, sure. I'd use the 6+.