240GB OCZ Agility 3, under 200 dollars!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Themegamacman, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Themegamacman, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

Themegamacman macrumors member

2. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Looks like a great deal! Wish it had been there 2 weeks ago when I got my 120 m4!

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

It is the Agility 3 not Vertex Agility 3

4. Themegamacman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, changing it.

5. diamond3, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

diamond3 macrumors 6502a

FYI this same drive is $209 after a $20 rebate card today at newegg.

Also, use ebates or fatwallet for I think another 2.6% cashback in a few months.

6. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Jesus, now that's a good deal. Nice call.

7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Too many poor reliability reports for my taste.

I'm going to wait until SSDs get sorted out before taking the plunge.

Many thanks to everyone willing to beta test SSDs in MBPs.

8. Jimbogiant macrumors member

I had one of these in a Sony VAIO last September (before I bought my 15" MBP), and it worked great after upgrading it to the latest firmware v.2.15. Before that it did have some bluescreen issues; those disappeared completely after the firmware upgrade though, flawless ever since.

James

9. Themegamacman thread starter macrumors member

I'm glad that you said that because my Mom has a VAIO that I was looking at throwing a 128GB one in. Thanks!

10. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

11. Themegamacman thread starter macrumors member

Nice catch, but it's back up a little now.

12. Themegamacman thread starter macrumors member

Does anybody know how OCZ compares to the Samsung 830?

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

OCZ is crap compared to the Samsung 830. They keep releasing new firmware everytime to fix issues. Samsung doesn't do that because they make the controllers themselves. If you put these SSDs in your Mac and want to update firmwares everytime you have to take them out and put it in a PC and then update then put it back. Waste of time.

It goes like this:

Intel > Samsung > Crucial > Others

It doesn't make sense getting other brands right now since the Crucial 256 m4 is under $200. Also you can get the Samsung for $270 right now, I would get that instead.

14. Dreday24 macrumors regular

if you buy quality products you dont have to worry about poor reliability.

on topic dont buy this wait for a better one.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've been using a variety of high end SSD's in my various laptops for years. Apple was late to the party when it comes to how their OS works with SSD's.

That's not a criticism, it's just how it was till recently.

OCZ brand works very well in windows computers, Macs before Lion, not so much. Blaming OCZ is to reveal an overall lack of understanding of everything involved.

I'm currently using a 512GB Samsung 830 in my new MBP. After using one in my 2010 MBP within a week of the 830's release, it's got a lot of time on it. Reliability & consistency have been stellar. While it's pricey, for my usage it's well worth it.

16. Themegamacman thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. It's nice to have people who know what they're talking about, instead of those people on Amazon or whatever who are just basic level consumers. Now I know to pretty much stay away from OCZ. I think I'll either end up going with the 830 or the m4, just waiting for prices to drop more. Thank again!

----------

Thanks for all the info. At this point, I think for me the 512 GB is just too much cash, but what I can do is do either a hybrid setup with an SSD for programs and OS, and an HDD for data. Then when I want to upgrade and get more storage, I'll buy another SSD. Then I can just back up, wipe the drives, and throw them into a striped RAID setup for super speeds. Thanks!

17. Dreday24 macrumors regular

naw ocz are pretty bad in windows based comps as well, iv had to rma 2 of them for my cousins computers.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've got three running in different ThinkPads, all are over a year old no problem. Just goes to show that setup correctly OCZ is one of the better brands.

But you must remember, all products come with a warranty, because some are bound to fail. I don't care what brand it is.

19. Themegamacman thread starter macrumors member

The price after rebate is now $210 USD. Still good IMO, but lets hope they keep dropping.