24bit/96kHz Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ppc_michael, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I have a Marantz PMD671 which can record up to 24bit 96kHz audio.

When I record in those settings (as uncompressed PCM) it plays back fine on the recorder (as well as attached external digital monitors), but when I play the file back on my Macbook Pro, the levels are low and everything sounds very staticy. I have tried Quicktime, VLC, and Logic Pro.

Recording in other formats, such as 16bit 48kHz works absolutely fine.

Is there something special I have to do for 24bit/96kHz? I feel like it's probably the 24 bits specifically.

2. prestonkd macrumors member

prestonkd

I have a recorder by Tascam that is very similar to the Marantz. I have recorded at 24/96 like you describe and used the audio in Logic Pro with no issues. Make sure your session settings are 24/96 in Logic. Also try opening a new project and dragging and dropping the audio file directly from the Marantz unit or from the finder to the timeline - instead of importing the audio.

3. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Thanks for your reply!

I have been acquiring the audio by dragging the files off the flash card. Logic is definitely set to 96kHz, although I don't know how to explicitly set 24 bits. (I read this is done automatically?)

When I play it back in Quicktime (which also has the same problem), I brought up the "Movie Inspector" and it correctly identifies the file as 24/96 but still has the static issue, which almost sounds like overmodulation even though the levels peak around -12db.

When opening the files in Audacity, even the waveforms reflect the problem I'm having.

But again the audio sounds perfect when played back on the Marantz itself.

Perhaps this is some weird kind of propriety format?

Edit

Okay this is weird: when I change the mic attenuation from -20dB to 0dB I no longer have a problem. This is spooky.

4. prestonkd macrumors member

prestonkd

That is confusing. I have only have one more thing to try. Copy the file from the flash card to your hard drive and then add it to the session by dragging it to the timeline from the Finder. It may be that Logic is trying use the file from the Flash card and can't get the data fast enough. That just a guess. I looked in the manual. Logic Pro is supposed to support multiple sample rates and imported files can be at any sample rate. Hope it works.