24GB vs 32GB, a real difference?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gaddster, Mar 4, 2013.

1. gaddster macrumors member

Hey guys

am lovin my new 27" i7, 1TB fusion 680mx.. bought with 8gb ram and updated to 24gb

Runs great (besides the obvious FCPX flaws with the 680mx, well done apple)

My question is this, where will I notice the difference if i up the RAM to 32gb?

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Take a look at your Activity Monitor. If you aren't getting any Page Outs, you most likely won't see the benefit of more RAM.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You will notice the difference, if you use more than 24 GBs of memory. Most people won't and don't need more than 8 GBs anyway. 16 GBs is a sweet spot right now for the majority of typical OS X users in terms of having memory available for applications and caching.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Short answer: No.

Longer answer, really unlikely unless you're doing a lot of rendering or Photoshop stuff. And when I mention these items, I mean doing this sort of work professionally with very large file sizes.

So, I would say you likely would not notice any difference. There's a good chance no one would.

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

As others have said, it depends. I have 32GB, because it means I can allocate 16GB to Parallels Windows 7. Winning!

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

That last sentence in gimmeslack's post is incorrect . There are many workflows that benefit from more RAM.

7. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Just upped and want to immediately do it again? Should have gone ahead and purchased 32GB to avoid second guessing. Just stick with what you've got.

8. photoz macrumors member

Max it out while you can, then you never have to wonder.

9. gaddster thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Guys.. wow

I do use FCPX for HD editing, some photoshop and illustrator work and some dreamweaver stuff... I dont

Ideally, this machine was bought to help with editing video, so I will continue to monitor the performance with 24gb..

'theSeb', which workflows would use 32gb ram, are they broadcast/production studios or animators etc?

10. kaellar macrumors 6502

gaddster, I guess you won't see any difference since you even asked this question. Those who really need that amount of RAM, usually know why do they need it.