Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alesc

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2014
France
Yes, but unfortunately that's not common knowledge. The average person will not know what RAM does, let alone how it's managed. Consumers have been conditioned to understand bigger numbers = better performance in computing.

You've also got the curious people who have done a little digging and found the 'free RAM' stat. When that's low, they think it's the same as running low on hard drive space - thus, time to buy more. That's probably not the case, but no business that profits from the sale of memory will want to inform them to the contrary.

Regardless, it's pretty cheap now anyway so it doesn't really matter so much if you over cook it.
The "free RAM" stat was fine before Maverick, and is still fine under Windows or Linux. The "pressure on RAM" stat is not realy crystal clear nor easy to understand, I think that's why we have so many people who misunderstand that.
Maybe Apple signed a deal with RAM providers: "You'll see, with our new Activity Monitor, people won't have anymore free RAM left, the won't understand anything about pressure on RAM and they will buy lot of RAM!". :D

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Yes, but unfortunately that's not common knowledge. The average person will not know what RAM does, let alone how it's managed. Consumers have been conditioned to understand bigger numbers = better performance in computing.

You've also got the curious people who have done a little digging and found the 'free RAM' stat. When that's low, they think it's the same as running low on hard drive space - thus, time to buy more. That's probably not the case, but no business that profits from the sale of memory will want to inform them to the contrary.

Regardless, it's pretty cheap now anyway so it doesn't really matter so much if you over cook it.
Where I live 2x8gb sticks are 150€.
That is not cheap.

----------

Bought my iMac with 8gb. Added an additional 16gb for a total of 24gb. Not sure if there was a difference. If there was a difference it wasn't noticeable on my end.

That said, I added it cause I wanted too. It was easy to install and cheap (for me). Next iMac will have 32gb just to max it out because I want too.

A lot of the things I own I don't need. Doesn't stop me from not wanting them. Aside from the microwave I don't know how to use half the appliances in my kitchen. Bought them because they looked nice and I wanted them not because I needed them.

Point is just because you don't need all that RAM doesn't mean its a waste having it. As long as you find some form of solice owning it its all good. :)
That is ... interesting ... finding solice in a multihundred$$$ meaningless computer spec... Mighty interesting ...

It does however prove my point about uninformed consumers and geeks on this forum, buying huge amounts of Random access memory sticks they have no real use for, because they have some sort of weird fetish going.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Where I live 2x8gb sticks are 150€.
That is not cheap.

----------

That is ... interesting ... finding solice in a multihundred$$$ meaningless computer spec... Mighty interesting ...

It does however prove my point about uninformed consumers and geeks on this forum, buying huge amounts of Random access memory sticks they have no real use for, because they have some sort of weird fetish going.

Do you really find people buying wants over needs thats baffling? I'm surprised you'd define it as a "weird fetish" over a "hobby" considering we are on an enthusiast forum.

I have to ask, do you feel the people that buy BTO maxed out iMacs are also inflicted with this "weird fetish"? Its pretty obvious from the talk on here that very few of them actually utilize their machines to capacity.

Geeks on a computer forum?!!? *gasp*

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Ok, here is where I meant to post this:

You need to stop being so obsessed with saving people money. I'm surprised you aren't recommending 2011 MBAs with 2 GB RAM to everyone just using their computer for light tasks :rolleyes:

If people take comfort in having higher specs than the minimum they need, there is nothing wrong with that. It's their money used to buy it after all.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Depends on one's definition of 'cheap'. Perhaps 'inexpensive' would have been a better term.

Meh. Just a feel good word, definition of inexpensive still contains cheap.

Expensive/cheap/inexpensive/etc etc are relative to the person but even more importantly the value of the product.

He (Meister) probably doesn't feel its cheap because its not needed (16+gb of RAM) so there is no value. And if there is no value to him then there is no cheap price regardless to what it is.

I however don't care. I wanted more then the original 8gb. And if I'm going to add RAM why not just add the maximum I can (without removing the current). So now I have 24gb.

touchUpInside

macrumors regular
May 4, 2014
UTC -07:00
24G may be enough today

but what about tomorrow ? Open a new version of Safari or a second window and BOOM you're ditched. Best to get a Mac Pro with at least 64G RAM !!:apple:

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
64. That's is pitiful. I think 128 gb needs to be standard. Think about it. You will be able to use safari and Microsoft word at the same time.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Ok, here is where I meant to post this:

You need to stop being so obsessed with saving people money.
Giving advice is the point of threads where people ask for advice.

Feel free to continue telling the guy who wants to buy a $300 upgrade to 32gb ram to read his email to go for it.

I will continue to call BS on it.

I have to ask, do you feel the people that buy BTO maxed out iMacs are also inflicted with this "weird fetish"? Its pretty obvious from the talk on here that very few of them actually utilize their machines to capacity.
There s a difference between buying a bit more just in case and buying 16 times the amount.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Bought my iMac with 8gb. Added an additional 16gb for a total of 24gb. Not sure if there was a difference. If there was a difference it wasn't noticeable on my end.

That said, I added it cause I wanted too. It was easy to install and cheap (for me). Next iMac will have 32gb just to max it out because I want too.

A lot of the things I own I don't need. Doesn't stop me from not wanting them. Aside from the microwave I don't know how to use half the appliances in my kitchen. Bought them because they looked nice and I wanted them not because I needed them.

Point is just because you don't need all that RAM doesn't mean its a waste having it. As long as you find some form of solice owning it its all good. :)

I can understand where you are coming from but I look at it slightly different. I buy with thoughts of what I might do in the future. For instance, I purchased an upgraded Retina iMac. I don't necessarily need all of its capabilities right now, but if I decide to do something that requires more memory or more processing power, at least I have the option accomplish that. I like to keep the door open to things I haven't done yet on the Mac. So you see, it's not because I just "want it", its more because I may need it down the road.

Many people buy with thoughts of what they need their computer for now but that might be short sighted especially since many keep these computers for years. I always try to look into my future needs rather than stay "in the now".

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I can understand where you are coming from but I look at it slightly different. I buy with thoughts of what I might do in the future. For instance, I purchased an upgraded Retina iMac. I don't necessarily need all of its capabilities right now, but if I decide to do something that requires more memory or more processing power, at least I have the option accomplish that. I like to keep the door open to things I haven't done yet on the Mac. So you see, it's not because I just "want it", its more because I may need it down the road.

Many people buy with thoughts of what they need their computer for now but that might be short sighted especially since many keep these computers for years. I always try to look into my future needs rather than stay "in the now".
In this thread the OP doesn't know how OSX memory management works. He asked for advice and certain people give bad recommendations here.

It is obviously your own business if you want to buy upgrades now because you think you might have use for them in the future. This is however not what his thread (and most of the other ones of its kind) are about.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
In this thread the OP doesn't know how OSX memory management works. He asked for advice and certain people give bad recommendations here.

It is obviously your own business if you want to buy upgrades now because you think you might have use for them in the future. This is however not what his thread (and most of the other ones of its kind) are about.
My comment wasn't directed at the OP. I was just commenting and making conversation. I didn't know the thread police was here.

Bacci

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
24GB or more in combination with an i7 processor is pretty sweet for running Windows 8 in Parallels (4 cores and 12GB allocated) at the same time as OS X on a second monitor without your machine breaking a sweat :)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
My comment wasn't directed at the OP. I was just commenting and making conversation. I didn't know the thread police was here.
Well, somebody must've called them...

10893d1393086592-whered-zombie-poll-threads-come-threadpolice.jpg

touchUpInside

macrumors regular
May 4, 2014
UTC -07:00
64. That's is pitiful. I think 128 gb needs to be standard. Think about it. You will be able to use safari and Microsoft word at the same time.

128 is all in for it If you want under the metal ! With two apps rolling, you need to tab back OR have one monitor next to the first one . . .

That is messin' Fine. Whas the Next sTep ?

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
For using Office products, 8GB would be more than enough. I'm not even sure why you'd need to spend the money on a retina display.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There s a difference between buying a bit more just in case and buying 16 times the amount.

Your imagination is running wild. Minus RAM maxing out an 5k iMac is 1300 dollars extra. 16gb of user installable RAM is 114 dollars (Crucial Amazon). So how is the maxing out the iMac a "bit more" but the RAM is expensive?

And 16x the amount? Even if we are talking 32gb (vs 24gb) that is 2gb? I cringe thinking of the user experience with Yosemite + 2gb of RAM.

I'll admit I don't have a firm understanding of reading the activity monitor but with 24gb of RAM currently have 24 gb available, 23.98 gb used, 25 gb virtual memory, 75 mb swap used, 1.78 gb Wired, 402 mb compressed. Pressure indicator is green told the bottom but I've seen yellow. I've never seen red on it but I obviously don't watch it constantly.

I have a feeling removing RAM wouldn't be a worthwhile idea.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
And 16x the amount? Even if we are talking 32gb (vs 24gb) that is 2gb? I cringe thinking of the user experience with Yosemite + 2gb of RAM.
If you are telling me that 2gigs RAM are not enough to run the apps the OP is running in Yosemite, then you just have not enough experience. Use a macbook air with 2gb RAM and then use any other Mac with 32gb or 128gb with the same apps the OP is using. You will find no noticable difference in performance.

----------

I'll admit I don't have a firm understanding of reading the activity monitor but with 24gb of RAM currently have 24 gb available, 23.98 gb used, 25 gb virtual memory, 75 mb swap used, 1.78 gb Wired, 402 mb compressed. Pressure indicator is green told the bottom but I've seen yellow. I've never seen red on it but I obviously don't watch it constantly.

I have a feeling removing RAM wouldn't be a worthwhile idea.
I don't know what you are using your Mac for, but your memory pressure will never get yellow or even high green from what the OP is planning on doing.

We've reached a point of diminishing returns for CPU and RAM.
Any of these upgrades are reserved for people with very special needs or get a thrill out of spending $$$
The entry Macs sell with 4gb and the pro models with 8 to 16gb. There are reasons for that.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If you are telling me that 2gigs RAM are not enough to run the apps the OP is running in Yosemite, then you just have not enough experience. Use a macbook air with 2gb RAM and then use any other Mac with 32gb or 128gb with the same apps the OP is using. You will find no noticable difference in performance.

You yourself admitted to having only minimal experience with Yosemite on 2 GB RAM. Have you used it for an extended period of time (say, two weeks) running all the apps the OP wants to run and checked the memory pressure never needed to go into the red due to lack of RAM? If not, come back when you have and proven beyond a doubt that 2 GB is enough for that usage, or not.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
You yourself admitted to having only minimal experience with Yosemite on 2 GB RAM. Have you used it for an extended period of time (say, two weeks) running all the apps the OP wants to run and checked the memory pressure never needed to go into the red due to lack of RAM? If not, come back when you have and proven beyond a doubt that 2 GB is enough for that usage, or not.
This topic has been discussed in threads on this forum for years at naseum.
I and other posters have posted various videos and other documentation.
What have you posted so far to support your claim?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
This topic has been discussed in threads on this forum for years at naseum.
I and other posters have posted various videos and other documentation.
What have you posted so far to support your claim?
First of all, how can it be discussed for years when Yosemite hasn't even been out that long.

Second, I would be interested in reading your findings. With my experience running Yosemite at 4GB (which isn't all that fast), I wouldn't even dare trying it at 2GB. Common sense would tell me that's just not enough to support the OS in a reasonable fashion. But, the ball is in your court. If you can show me it will run and the system won't screech to a halt or crash, I will believe you.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
First of all, how can it be discussed for years when Yosemite hasn't even been out that long.
The topic "2gb isn't enough" has been discussed for years.
Yosemite has optimized memory management. MBAs with 2gb run better than ever.

----------

Second, I would be interested in reading your findings. With my experience running Yosemite at 4GB (which isn't all that fast),
At this moment :apple: sells most of their Macs with 4gb.
I have two Macs (mac mini and mba) at home with 4gb and they run everything I throw at them (including photoshop, lightroom, da vinci resolve and FCPX with uncompressed HD footage, 0.7gb/second) with ease. In fact the mba is much smoother than my rmbp that has the same pcie ssd, but 2.4ghz and 8gb ram.
RAM has (usually) nothing to do with your mac being slow or fast.
Stating that Yosemite "at 4gb isn't all that fast" is simply misinformed nonsense on many levels.

----------

I wouldn't even dare trying it at 2GB. Common sense would tell me that's just not enough to support the OS in a reasonable fashion.
That is just nonsense again.
Many people still use their 2011 mba with 2gb like on day one. It's buttery smooth.

----------

If you can show me it will run and the system won't screech to a halt or crash, I will believe you.
Sure, :apple: issues Yosemite that runs with 2gb and then your mac crashes.
That makes total sense. :rolleyes:
Stupid statements like these are what compelles me to post on these ridiulous RAM threads and it is why so many computer iliterate people ask what over the top upgrade they need to buy to be able to switch their mac on.

----------

, I simply asked you to spend two weeks with it running what the OP runs and report back.
I do not have a mba with 2gb that I could run for two weeks, but there are many other forum members who have. The dealer around the corner has them on display and I have used them many times for fun --> no lag whatsoever.

Let me start with a little video of a mba 2010, multitasking itunes, ibooks, safari, notepad, maps, open office, calendar, mail and contacts

Here are some screenshots and a link to a video of multitasking media creation apps on a mba with 4gb RAM:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1756865/

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
At this moment :apple: sells most of their Macs with 4gb.
I have two Macs (mac mini and mba) at home with 4gb and they run everything I throw at them (including photoshop, lightroom, da vinci resolve and FCPX with uncompressed HD footage, 0.7gb/second) with ease. In fact the mba is much smoother than my rmbp that has the same pcie ssd, but 2.4ghz and 8gb ram.
RAM has (usually) nothing to do with your mac being slow or fast.
Stating that Yosemite "at 4gb isn't all that fast" is simply misinformed nonsense on many levels.

Oh really. First of all I never said that Yosemite can't run on 4GB. I believe we were talking about 2GB.

Second, upgrading to 8GB is not a BAD idea. It certainly will help if you have multiple things going on at the same time.

That is just nonsense again.
Many people still use their 2011 mba with 2gb like on day one. It's buttery smooth.

Who are "many people"? You? Didn't think so.

Sure, :apple: issues Yosemite that runs with 2gb and then your mac crashes.
That makes total sense. :rolleyes:
Stupid statements like these are what compelles me to post on these ridiulous RAM threads and it is why so many computer iliterate people ask what over the top upgrade they need to buy to be able to switch their mac on.

Well, that pretty much wraps it up. Whatever you posted below I will not watch. If you are going to degrade others in that manner then you have nothing of value for me. Bye

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Oh really. First of all I never said that Yosemite can't run on 4GB. I believe we were talking about 2GB.
Yes, you did ...
With my experience running Yosemite at 4GB (which isn't all that fast),

----------

Second, upgrading to 8GB is not a BAD idea. It certainly will help if you have multiple things going on at the same time.
As a general statement this is again simply wrong.

----------

Who are "many people"?
Google "macbook air 2gb Yosemite"

and here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1847222/

and the videos I've posted and real world experience.

----------

Well, that pretty much wraps it up. Whatever you posted below I will not watch. If you are going to degrade others in that manner then you have nothing of value for me.
What I posted matches just fine.

You are spreading misinformed, misleading nonsense and I have to call it for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.