24h battery life ?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Tex-Twil, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    during the Let's Rock Apple keynote, Steve Jobs advertised that the iPod's battery can hold up to 24h for music.

I got myself a iPod nano last week and I think that the battery life is faaaaaar from being 24h. When I got it, I charged it completely and then I was using the iPod when going to/from work which is like 2x30 mins per day.

After 3 days, so let's say more or less 3h, the battery is discharged. Ok I also played a video (the iPod ad:20 sec) a couple of times and I'm using the coverflow quite often.

I don't expect to have a battery life of 24h but I think that 3h is really strange.

Is there any battery calibration process on the iPods ? I've just recharged it again completely and I'll test it again.

Thanks,
    Tex

2. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

Coverflow, screen brightness, how much you skip songs, video, all make the battery go down real fast.

3. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

I haven't really tested the ipod nano's battery yet.

But for my ipod classic 80gb, I am certain that I can get at least 20 hours of battery life.
    15 hours from HK to Chicago. I turned my ipod on the whole trip. Of course, I did switch songs manually from time to time. No problem there.
    Will do the same when I head back home with the ipod nano!

I think it should be fine as long as you dont use coverflow often, and turn the screen brightness to max.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

My nano drained really fast in the 3 days I had it as well. I'm returning it today because of that as well as the clickwheel is unreliable and sometimes doesn't work at all.

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If it's the same as my old 3G iPod, it doesn't turn off completely when not in use. It trickles a little bit of battery so that it instantly turns on.

After a weekend of not using my iPod, it wouldn't instantly turn on. It would turn on with the Apple logo, like it was restarted and then show the low battery icon.

I think it's 24 hours of continuous play which is different from 3 days standby + 3 hours of use.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

That's exactly right. Standby on any iPod really cuts into the battery life. I had a 1G nano that got the stated battery life if I played it continuously, but died in about 3 days of non-use. I now have a 5G "classic" but haven't had a chance to test the battery life yet (stated is 30h).

7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

24h means 24 hours of just unplugging it and playing one playlist with out touching it

8. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

well ok, but still , I think that 3h is not good.

tex

9. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

sorry. But i do not believe that it gets three hours, and thats it.

If so, take it in.

10. jake921660 macrumors regular

i think i read on the apple website that 24h is when it plays a playlist of 128kbs AAC songs on repeat without ever touching any of the controls

11. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Genius told me to get this...

The Volume can't be Maximum, EQ is not used, Display Brightness is turned down to <10%, Blacklit is set to 5 seconds and they recommend using Playlist and avoid Shuffle/Skipping songs.

On a 12 hours shift my 120GB Classic can only do about 2 hours of Video and 10 Music/Podcast.

12. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello again,
    I reopen this topics cos it's getting me a bit pi***ed. This morning I took my iPod which was half charged and used it on my way to work .. still around 30 mins. I dind't use coverflow and back lighting is set ti 5 sec. During those 30 min, the iPod got almost completely discharged.

I would like to know how a Genius would explain that. What do you think ?

Thanks,
    Tex

13. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Calibrating the battery: http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html
    iPod nano 4th gen specs: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP497 says UP TO 24 hrs. Many factors including the bitrate of the songs and use of the display affect this.

Edit: Wow...I only saw the first post in my browser but didn't see the date...

Anyhow the battery sounds wonky to me, time to consider a battery replacement...

14. 156457 macrumors 6502

My iPod Nano 3G (the square ones) is perfect. I never charge it. I use it for about 2 hours a day (maybe 8/9 hours a week) and I choose one artist to listen to when I use it and stick to that most of the time. I don't really touch it and have it on hold all the time, and it's on standby when it isn't playing.

I haven't charged it in about 3/4 weeks. I never charge it. I just plug it in for about 20 seconds to sync. It's amazing.