24hrs into my 1st mac sees more crashes than windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stimpycat, Aug 29, 2007.

1. stimpycat macrumors regular

The title says it all - it's been 24 hours since I setup my Mac Pro and ACD and I have honestly had more system freezes and issues than I did with 12 months of running Windows XP.

Firstly, the system became unresponsive during a transfer of large files - the files stopped transferring and whilst one could open certain applications, the finder menus and apple icon were unresponsive (so I couldn't shut down etc)

A while later I think it may be a good idea to run the apple system update and check if my OSX is indeed up-to-date - seems simple enough and the apple update box appears the same as it does on my windows machine for itunes and qt - however this one hangs 1/8th of the way through - stuck on "checking for software updates" 15 mins and no progress - internet is on firefox works, guess I won't be updating today then..

The third problem occurred 2 hours later when trying to install CS3 - it freezes whilst installing shared components and doesn't get any further than this - I worried I was being impatient but having left it installing for 12 hours overnight it's no further.

That brings me right to the fourth problem, I eject my portable HD - which won't eject because "it's being used" and also can't eject the CS3 CD as that is apparently "being used" - unfortunately the app has been closed and isn't in fact "being used"

So if we can't do that we must restart the system - fine, click on the apple icon select restart and bang - it's been 20 minuets and all I see is a blue screen - yes a blue screen, famous in windows although I haven't seen one in 2 years after 24 hours on a Mac I see one and it won't go away.

It's just sitting there looking at me.

Great start - I am losing money already by not being able to work.

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Have you been changing things around, tweaking it to your personal settings?

I came from 6 years of windows and a highly customised PC, and switched to a Powerbook.

When setting it up, I automatically did the little tweaks and renamings and moving things around that one does on a windows PC. Crash city.

I managed to totally bork up my mac, in pretty much the same way as you, in 24 hours.

Solution - wipe, and reinstall, and leave everything at their defaults. 2 years later, it's still rock solid. Now, after 2 years experience, I can tweak it as much as a PC, now that I know how to do it and what to leave alone. :) Interestingly, I don't tend to. As it's a work machine, I've noticed that any third party programs tend to make it more unstable. Default works best.

As you can see, OSX is a different beast. Applications go in the application folder. It's best to leave them all in there, and don't rename applications.

Re your external disk, you probably still have applications or folders open on it. Apple-tab to see what applications you have open - probably a lot more than you think. Close any minimised folder windows that show folders on the external disk too. Possibly your zip-handler application is also holding open a zip file on the external HD.

Hope that helps.

3. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, the only thing I have changed is the size of the dock and the sensitivity of the mouse. I have not installed any software at all - CS3 is the first I have tried and I haven't renamed anyfolders (my files are on a separate HD)

4. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Have you tried the old PC stuff like re-seating the RAM?

Try running Apple's hardware test, think it's on the OS X CD, otherwise, erase and reinstall OS X.

I don't think this is typical of Mac systems.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm going to stick my neck out and say it sounds like you've got a lemon.

Either get on the phone to Apple or get back into the store, it shouldn't be hard to get a replacement if things are going that wrong.

While it should work out of the box, a full format and reinstall via the Tiger DVD wouldn't be a bad idea. Telephone support will want you to try it anyway, and you'll generally have an easier time seeking a replacement if you have exhausted this option. I suggest the full format and reinstall rather than troubleshooting because it sounds like you've had your Mac for too little time to have done much worth protecting - might as well start over.

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

The only time I've had bad crashes like this was when I had my Powerbook and had a faulty RAM slot. Try moving your RAM around, and then try the hardware test, as maestrokev mentions. Also try the troubleshooting advice on this page.

7. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys, i'll try the things suggested and let you know if it settles!

8. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Definitely sounds like a hardware problem to me, as well. This isn't normal behavior at all.

9. askywalker macrumors regular

I got my first Mac (MBP 2.4) last week, coming from the XP world. I have had two crashes so far (what is the Mac equivalent of a ctrl-alt-del when nothing is responding? I ended up killing the power).

I have installed a ton of software, and have had an AMAZING time with my migration. I am trying not to be distracted by all the toys - but it is hard not to play in iPhoto, Garageband etc... I have been traveling in Asia (got my MBP cause it was the only global warranty that I could start using English OS & Keyboard the same day).

I chalk up the two crashes as hopefully just a learning curve. Skype has been working great - my USB headset and Microsoft Habu mouse worked simply plugging them in. My son loves the videocalling from Skype. I just can't get over how quickly I have taken to the keyboard shortcuts, the Mail, Address Book, Firefox and iMovie.... Fusion works REALLY well - I full screen in Windows XP and forget that I am on a Mac - but find that I Alt (er... Mac)-Tab to the Mac to do anything I can within the Mac rather than XP.

I am certainly a power Windows user - and have a great deal of respect for XP. I haven't turned into a Apple Fanboy yet, but I can tell you that your experience is nothing like mine. Check for hardware issues, reinstall and start over. I had used 90 gigs of my 160 gig drive before I had crashes.

10. hopejr macrumors 6502

command+option+escape (or open-apple+alt+escape, which is the same thing)

11. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

As others have said, it seems like you more than likely got a lemon. Sorry to heat that. I'm 'gonna subscribe to this thread to see how it works out for you.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This too was my problem. During shipment, I don't get how, but the ram was not 100% placed. It was freezing like mad and just going nuts. After I put it in place that worked out great.

13. defeated macrumors regular

disk failure? OSX shouldn't be this fragile. on the other hand, apple's hardware QC does have more problems.

CALL APPLECARE

14. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

well since I did a 'pull the plug out of the wall to reboot' the Mac Pro has been running fine with no probs - CS3 finally installed on reboot and everything else - files and software is now on and running super smooth.

Migrated my outlook 2003 email through O2M which was a snip at £5 and that's worked just fine - opted to work with the Mail app of OSX rather than bother with Entourage.

Will keep this updated by fingers crossed what happened last night / this morning was just a glitch.

Got to add, I hope it stays like this - i love it! I had to burn a CD on my PC earlier and already windows seems like a pain and a chore to use!