24i LED screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MythicFrost, May 28, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

What exactly does the "LED" stand for?

Is it better than a normal 20i, 23i or 30i screen?

Kind Regards

2. djjclark macrumors regular

Its a type of backlighting. Replaces florescent backlighting. Is more "green" and provides a better color experience.

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

4. Halsey12 macrumors regular

The 20, 23, and 30's are LCD screens. A quick google search will tell you the differences in the screen types.

Some would say better, others will not like the gloss and glass over the LED and prefer the matte screen on the LCD's.

5. greedyhands macrumors member

regardless of whether it's better or not, Apple displays consistently have lower contrast ratios than the industry standard. It is a waste of perfectly good money to indulge Apple's ridiculous price gauging on their displays. I enjoy all their products, but the fact of the matter is that you can get a 47" Vizio television with better specs for the same price as an Apple 24" display. And $500 less you can get a most excellent 24" Samsung with much better specs than an apple display. Heck, if you need the Apple logo, I'm sure there are plenty of places that you can get to affix them.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

While it's a matter of taste, in my view, there is not a better display out there for less money at the moment than the 24" LED from Apple.

7. greedyhands macrumors member

'Tis true my friend, it's always a matter of taste. And to be quite honest my taste leans toward the Apple LED as well, it's a really gorgeous presentation. It's just that, after the initial beauty of it wears off, I can never seem to justify the lower contrast ratio on such an expensive piece of equipment. 1000:1?! You've got to be kidding me. My 47" Vizio has a 6500:1 ratio, was only $800, and is by no means top of the line. I just want to hear Apple's justification for skimping on capability for the monitors they offer on machines that are supposed to be graphics intensive.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can't really compare a TV to a Monitor. They may peform the same role for you but there are big differences. Also you might want to read some of the contrast ratio myth articles out there. This is a good short summary.

If you look at some of the top displays out there for colour accuracy and reference work most have 1000:1 or less listed as a contrast ratio.

Barco's LED reference monitors = 800:1
    Samsung Blu XL series (LED BL) = 1000:1
    HP's DreamColor LP2480zx = 1000:1
    Eizo ColorEdge = 1000:1
    NEC Multisyncs = 800:1

As for Apple's display, it's expensive for a 24" display, but it's fairly priced for a 24" display using the latest H-IPS with LED backlighting. I certainly wouldn't buy one as I feel in it's price range the HP LP2475w for ~$500 is a better price and the NEC 24" and 26" are better quality for a little more.

9. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I absolutely 2nd this... I love my LP2475w and it has every input you will ever want/need. IPS screen and actually got the highest recommendation in this months Macworld for Screens for a Macbook / Macbook Pro, even over the Apple LED 24". Plus... it's matte, a big deal for many.

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yeah, my Sony XBR4 has some ridiculous 18000:1 contrast ratio but accomplishes this at least in part by varying the intensity of the backlight. Umbongo's link is a good one for explaining the issues with contrast ratio. I never put much weight in monitor specs anymore... I just use my eyes. I haven't seen a brighter, crisper, more intense and striking display than Apples 24" LED. There may be a better looking display out there, but I haven't seen it.

11. grue macrumors 65816

Learn the difference between a real contrast ratio and a "dynamic" contrast ratio.

Hint: The dynamic contrast ratio would be known in Spanish as "****** del toro". EDIT: Good heavens, it censors us in Spanish, too? How about Russian? дерьмо!

Furthermore, if you're just going to be a spec jockey the IPS panels aren't for you. If you actually give a crap about image quality, you're doing more than looking at the specs: You're actually going to look at the panels.

Christ, it's like the kids who judge a car solely based on horsepower.

12. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Haha. Made me laugh.

Two words:

"IPS"
    "Dynamic contrast"

Loa

P.S. and to the OP: best thing for you is to go to a store and compare Apple's LED display with a regular 24 inch display. If you can't see the difference, don't buy Apple's.

13. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Apple's LED display is also a LCD. All flat screen monitors are LCDs for now. (Plasma is only for TVs, and OLED technology is starting to appear.) The LED only refer to the type of backlighting.

Loa

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Contrast ratios are pretty much useless now - there was no set "standard" on how to measure them. TV's were the worst for it, a top-end Sony would have a contrast ratio of 2000:1 and a Samsung would have nearly 1,000,000:1, yet the Sony had far better blacks etc.

The 24" Cinema Display is also an LCD.. it just uses LED's to light up the display.