24in Screens on iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scomax, Mar 4, 2009.

1. scomax macrumors newbie

hi guys,
    i am (or was before i saw the prices) thinking of buying an imac and was wondering if anyone can share their experience of the 24in screen. I plan to use it for basic home stuff such as photos, video editing (basic), t'internet etc.
    I dont plan to play any games on it (i have a ps3 and a wii which do a much better jobs me thinks).
    The question is this: will the low end 24in imac be good enough? there seems to be a lot of negative comments round here on the graphic card.
    also on a not less serious note, do you find the screen too big on your desk. Is it overwhelmingly big?

thanks

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

In my experience, the larger the screen, the more you can do/see/accomplish. The new iMac I think has great specs, it's just that some people wanted more.. of course :rolleyes:

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

9400M is intergrated, it sucks. It will easily handle tasks you mentioned but video editing can be laggy. I went for 2.93GHz with GT130 512MB. I may do some gaming but I have PS3 too... 24" is perfect, 20" is too small.

4. dommo92 macrumors member

Yeah the 24" screen is pretty slick. H-IPS panel I think. The 20 inchers don't use those so if you do a side by side comparison with the 24" and 20" you'll see a huge difference. And as for ziggyonice... dude... the new 24" high-end is a joke. The clock speed didn't change at all... That's why I went out and got myself a nice core i7 last week :D

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They were so sure that it'll have quad-core and 9800 etc. Apple never goes with mass, so why they expected "iMac Pro".

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

At the moment I have both the 20" and 24" early-2008 models. The 24" screen is absolutely gorgeous, especially next to the smaller one. The only complaint is that it's a little too bright, but that can be remedied by applying a different color profile.