24P Editing Options.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sycho, Jun 7, 2007.

1. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

So I have decided on getting a Canon HV20, mainly for the 24fps mode, but every review being positive pushed me over the edge.

I will be getting a lens for it and will be shooting some, if not most, material in the 24fps mode.

So the questions:

What are the options for editing at 24fps?

Has anyone here successfully edited at 60i and then later inverse telecined the material into 24P?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

there is absolutely no reason to edit in 60i and then reverse telecine... if you want to edit in 23.98, then reverse telecine the 24p footage before you start editing.

3. sycho thread starter macrumors 6502a

sycho

Oh yes, I don't want to spend like $1500 CND on Final Cut Studio...

What other options are there?

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I'm pretty certain that Final Cut Express will allow you to edit in 1080p24. It's an easy setup and capture preset.

P-Worm

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

AFAIK the HV20 only records 1080i60 to tape. The OP will need to capture it as such and then reverse telecine if he wants to work in 23.98.

Lethal

6. sycho thread starter macrumors 6502a

sycho

That is the plan, but I am unaware of any editing program that will allow this for an inexpensive cost. As far as I am aware, Final Cut Express will not edit 24pfs material, even after it's been inverse telecined from 60i...:(

7. banjomamo macrumors regular

final cut pro would probably be the most versatile solution for you. this site has a bunch of hv20 info among other indie film stuff:

http://prolost.blogspot.com/