25,000 physicians download Epocrates for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dave00, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

As I've said before, this is a huge breakthrough for health care professionals, and I think it will significantly drive adoption of iPhone/iPod Touch among those of us who need a good drug reference. This was the only reason I was sticking with my old Sony Clie. I just wish there was a quicker way to type than trying to go with my thick fingers....

Dave

Article:
    http://medicaleconomics.modernmedic...id=552591&sk=eb2ffbd0a32ab5862bc7e05dcbaa8c86

2. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

My wife used "Epocrates Essentials" on her old Windows Mobile PDA. She liked the program though it always had trouble with ActiveSync and the Windows Mobile platform in general is crap.

She said she'd be really impressed when Epocrates finally brings that program to iPhone instead of the scaled-down Epocrates Rx.

If 25,000 physicians have already downloaded the free version, however, it seems like Epocrates would be insane not to port Essentials over, too. They're sitting on top of an awful lot of lost revenue without it.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apologies, but I think their saying "physicians" is slightly misleading.

Some of those 25,000 are nurses, interns and students, of course.

Regards.

4. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, there've been 125,000 total downloads, 25,000 of those to physicians. At least, that's how I read it. They ask you your profession when you download it.

Interns and residents *are* physicians, by the way.

The most important part of Epocrates - the drug reference and pill identifier - are available free as a part of the version downloadable to iphone. The other add-ons - medical calculators, alternative medicines, etc. - are nice, but not as essential. The pill identifier is especially useful. You don't know how many people come in and when you ask them what they take, they say "the blue pill."

I'm currently debating whether to "borrow" my wife's 1st-gen Touch and upgrade the software, vs. buy my own. Decisions, decisions.

Dave