$25 a month for 2GB AT&T Plan & the 20MB App Limit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mojoxp, Jun 28, 2010.

1. mojoxp macrumors member

Anyone who's on one of the new plans, does the 2GB AT&T plan still have the 20MB limit on App downloads?

I could see the logic in limiting it for "unlimited" plans, but not if I'm paying for bandwidth allotments.

2. fuzion macrumors 6502

Actually it would be more logical for unlimited not to have it.

Either way; the app size limit has nothing to do with your monthly bandwidth limits, it has to do with downloading large files over the network.

3. mojoxp thread starter macrumors member

I'd disagree with that. With the "Unlimited" plan, there's a definite mandate for the provider to shape and control the usage of traffic to ensure that its divided equitably. In theory the traffic management should be done without regard to the content, merely to curtail the bandwidth being used. Essentially you have a bottomless cup of bandwidth, but you're giving AT&T leverage over shaping the pipe.

When you're metering traffic, the cap is what is should be doing the shaping. The user is paying for an allotment of bandwidth, its up to them to use the resources as they see fit. Now I've got a fixed sized cup, which means AT&T has much less of an interest in shaping the pipe.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

App size download limit is not related to your package.

I think the logically as it's done the limit should be applied to all plans.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I agree that the way you put it makes the most sense. You should either have a fixed amount of usage that you can use how you want to or an unlimited package with restrictions on what you can do with it.

Of course in this case the restriction is not imposed by AT&T, but rather the firmware of the phone. The restriction is the same in all countries where the iPhone is available.