25.GB Movie file

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonehype, Aug 18, 2013.

1. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Dear All,

I have a rMBP so I ripped music DVD onto my rMBP and playing via VLC...

The video plays fine, but it sort of stutters a lot because I am guessing its a big file....

Solutions?!?

Thanks Guys

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Use a video converter to downscale the video size or bitrate (I prefer Adapter). You could also simply rip the audio off the movie tracks using the same program.
    What program did you use to rip it? DVDs are usually only 4.7 gb or so. 25gb is pretty much a blu-ray!

3. iphonehype thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry my bad, it is s a blu-ray

Its Tiesto's concert DVD! His coming to London so I need get back on the zone!

It seems to be playing okay now...dont know what happened! It really does bring out the quality of the Retina Display too.

If I downscale the video would it reduce the picture quality whilst watching on my Mac?

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Yeah 25gb is pretty much a direct rip of the disc (ok size if it is a blu-ray). Downscaling would reduce the picture quality.
    Another thing that could be causing it would be if something is taking up a lot of processor power or accessing your disk a lot (backing up can do both on my mac). So it would probably play better/less choppy if nothing else was running.

5. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

I think if it's scaled correctly, it won't get any "worse" or "better" than native blu ray resolution, which is far less than retina resolution anyway

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Yes! Forgot about this...
    OP - if you ripped the disc simply into a disc image (basically a byte for byte copy of the disc), you could probably extract the video from that at 1080p or whatever the native quality of the video is without losing much quality at all. Like for me, I can take a 4.7gb DVD file and turn it into a 1gb movie with almost no quality loss.

7. sarthak macrumors 6502

Switch to the NVIDIA card and it will play back just fine.

Otherwise, did you rip it correctly as in did you let the program verify the rip?

8. MathBunny123 macrumors regular