Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frontside720

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2014
I am losing my ***** here.

I'm installing a brand new Lacie 6TB thunderbolt drive and I think I just screwed something up when trying to set up RAID.

I'm somewhat of a newby and was rushing the process as I was grilling dinner.

My lacie 6TB comes with 2 x 3TB drives.

To keep it simple...

When I originally plugged it in, a lacie 6TB icon appeared. After I thought I formatted the HD, the Lacie 6TB drive icon disappeared and I now have 2 separate 3TB untiled drives on my desktop.

I have searched and searched and searched and have found nothing that to get this information back.

I have tried undo, disk repair and installing on another mac to see if it would restore to factory presets.

I think I'm screwed.

I just want this to act as 1 6TB drive and have 1 icon.

If you solve my problem, I will paypal you $20 immediately.

Thanks!!

Here are some different pictures of my disk utility. My 6TB laCie and 4TB laCie are perfect and have been working great for a while. My new 6TB is set up as the bottom two 3TB's you can see in the picture.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That drive comes pre formatted in RAID0 so that gives you what looks like one 6TB disk and that is what you initially saw. By reformatting in Disk Util you undid RAID and now have two HFS+ (Mac) formatted (non-RAID) disks.

Just go back to Disk Utility and follow the instructions here to set it back up as RAID0 (striped) and you should be all set.

If this works out (I'm pretty sure it will :)), just donate the $20 to your favorite charity.

frontside720

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2014
I appreciate your help and really appreciate your generosity.

I matched it and donated $50 to sick kids.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.