250/256 SSD MBP 13" Late 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imax2k2, Jan 14, 2010.

1. imax2k2 macrumors member

Guys,

I'm shopping for an SSD, of 250-256gb for my macbook pro 13". I have upgraded the ram to 4gb. Btw I have also put it on sale on craigslist, either way I'm gonna get an ssd for this system or if I'm able to sell this on craigslist for the newgen of MBP. I have seen some variants of Patriot and Corsair, but there are about 3 models to choose from, I really dont have a budget, so whatever's the best 250Gb ssd I can get for MBP.

I'm a Adobe flex developer, and this is going to be my work machine if it matters to mention this, I might run vmware on it as well.

I couldn't find a ssd guide, so hopefully I dont get redirected to a sticky.

Thanks.

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

if you can live without a optical drive (carry external) i would recommend running 2 160gb intels in a striped array.

super high performance. 320gb space.

3. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

if money is no object get the intel drive.
    the OCZ vertex drives offer similar performance but at a cheaper price.

4. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

I found a buyer for my macbook pro, so now for certain I'll get the next gen MBP, also how are the ssd's that come with the MBP if we get it custom configured from Apple, which company do they go with?

Also how could I do the 2 x 160gb raid 0? I have a external blu ray drive, so I can give it a shot, any guide for it? I noticed on newegg the highest capacity ssd from intel is of 160gb, anything higher than this?

5. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

The apple drives are not that great. you should spend the money on the intel stuff.

6. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

320Gb Intel SSDs were available for purchase in some German online stores several days ago. Price was close to 1000 EUR (thats almost 1450$)

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

8. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I wouldn't be getting it from apple then.

$1450 is a little more than I can afford lol, I dint know there were 320gb ssd's that expensive, I was thinking of 256gb coz ~$750 is what I have seen the max on them.

Thats a very nice mod, I would be tempted to do this, and 2 128's would be faster than 1 256gb in raid 0, however with that setup, can we even do a raid 0?

9. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

you need 2 hard drives to run RAID 0.

some single SSDs run RAID 0 internally but it's not something you configure.

2 x 128gb SSDs in RAID 0 will be faster than a single 256gb drive. this is true if you are using the same type of drives with similar speeds.
    im pretty sure there are a few cheap SSDs out there that won't beat a single intel drive in RAID 0.

10. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I like the Kingston ssdnow V+ series 256gb.... Great performance and low cost... There is a seller on eBay that has them for $500 right now.