$250 MacBook Pro - Worth It?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SkippyThorson, Oct 12, 2010.

1. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Wondering if an older MacBook Pro is worth $250? It's on Craigslist, and this guy gives absolutely no details about it. Since I was never interested in the "Pro" line, so I never kept up with them, and don't know a whole lot.

So, I have three questions: when exactly is this laptop from, what would the general specs be, and is that a fair price?

Keep in mind, I only have 2 G4s, so anything would be an improvement. :p

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/ele/1964339858.html

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's probably from 06 or 07, 2-2.33GHz C2D or CD. If it's being sold for $250, there is something wrong with it though. That picture looks like a pretty old version of facebook is up, so it may have been taken a while ago.

EDIT- that may not be facebook, so I'd ask about anything that may be wrong with it

3. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

As long as it's not a G4, it's definitely worth it. However, the price seems to be on the low side.

I have a MBP 2.33 and it works great.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

if it's legit, that's a good price for any mbp. just be wary, if it's too good to be true...

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

As long as it's working properly, that's a great deal. Buy it.

All MacBooks and MacBook Pros have Intel processors. The PowerBooks had PowerPC CPUs.

6. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Everything everyone has said has crossed my mind. :p It does seem way too good to be true - I don't know anyone that would ever sell a perfectly working Intel Mac at that price.

I sent him a message, and we'll see what happens. More than likely, from September 20th, it's already gone, but it's worth a shot.

I do long for a nice quick Intel Mac, but don't need the latest and greatest anything. I just prefer saving my money way too much. (Plus, both my G4s run just fine, and I'll keep replacing my iMac until the last G4 on the market is dead.)

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If price is too low, it's scam, damaged, or stolen.

9. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

"if it's too good to be true...it probably is"

10. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I would just walk away mate, seriously... 250 is a crazy low price, there is something wrong with it.

11. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Yeah, after looking in to the specs of what that MacBook may be, and todays announcement of an Apple event, I'd rather spend my money on:
    A) Something newer / new, if the right product comes along. (11.6" Air *dreams*)
    B) Something with a warranty, which, this laptop seemingly could use. Badly.
    C) Something that won't be as obsolete as my iBook in a years time.

Appreciate the not just timely; fast responses from everyone. Think I just got talked down off a ledge. He didn't respond anyway. I'm passing on this one.

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

For 250, its a good price to buy and resell. However I see you getting an email in a day or two, how the seller just moved to a different country.

13. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

There's nothing suspicious about suddenly moving to nigeria