250 SSD but only 39GB free.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hankcah, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Hankcah, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

Hankcah macrumors regular

I'm trying to lighten the load on my harddrive. I downloaded Gemini to delete duplicate files. I manually went through my install DMGs that I'm not using. I did have a few folders of duplicate photos and music. Ons of PDFs that were duplicated. Deleted those.

I was able to squeeze out 20 GB, leading me to 39 GB available.

But as you can see from my Disk Utility - I have 148GB of "Other". What?? Still doesn't seem right.

Is there a way I can see line by line what is using up so much space? Files, folders, etc?

Does anyone recommend apps that will help me find what they are? I did use AppZapper, but it seems fairly limited and manual.

148GB of unknown files, apps, folders seems a bit much.

EDIT----
    After using Daisy Disk, thanks to Mike in Kansas, I'm now up to 57.78 GB Free. I saw I had 5-6 iPhone backups in my iTunes.

What else?

Attached Files:

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I use DaisyDisk to drill down into my filing system to see what may be hiding in there. It's a paid app, but well worth it to me.

3. tyche macrumors 6502

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

If you run it with sudo (As shown below), it will include some system files that it woud not normally have access to scan. That is a more accurate representation of what's consuming your drive.
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper
    Another option is to use this terminal command
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

I prefer to redirect it to a text file (this puts it in your Documents folder
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g / > ~/Documents/du.txt

Like the sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper command, it will scan all directories, but produce a text file as opposed to showing the results in a window

Do you have timemachine enabled, if so the space being used could be local snapshots.

5. Hankcah thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thank you so much. I'll have to try that later today.

Awesome, thank you!

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I have problems trying to make sense of the "graphical" display disk inventory utilities mentioned above.

Instead, I use this:
    http://diskwave.barthe.ph

It's "textual", instead of graphical.
    Just launch it, and set preferences so that it will show you INVISIBLE files (as well as normally-visible ones).

You'll see what to do next...