Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Did anybody out there get their C2D Macbook yet??? What did you order? How is it? Pictures? More Pictures? Problems? Concerns? Praise? Any thing you want to say about your new C2D macbook, please post.

Thanks,

The Stig

IntenseKipp

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
Tempe, AZ
I just bought a C2D MBP with the student discount. This is my first laptop and my first mac. I cannot say how much I love the switch to mac. The media features are excellent. The MBP is an excellent computer! Im not the most computer savy person and everything has been really easy for me!

Gamdoan

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2006
Vermillion, SD
I ordered 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo Black MacBook on Friday from the online store with student discount. It will be nice to retire my iBook G4. I ordered it with all the standard specs except for bumping the memory to 2 GB.

I'll get pictures up on Flickr and report back when it gets here (Hopefully this week, but it may be the week of Thanksgiving).

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
This is what I ordered

MB White:

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM-2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
Superdrive 6x
Apple Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter

Ships by: Nov 13 - Nov 15
Delivers by: Nov 16 - Nov 24

16-24 :(

The Stig

clicq

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
My order shipped

I orderd a 2.0ghz white MB that's standard aside from 2GB of RAM (and Applecare). Mine too had a ship date of Nov. 13-15, but I just got notification that it shipped a few hours ago. (I ordered on Wednesday.) With any luck, I'll see it Tuesday, maybe Wednesday at the latest (2-3 day expedited shipping).

Can't wait! :)

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Shipment Notification

I just got my shipment notification too. It is shipping through FedEx. I checked the tracking number and it says:

"Nov 12, 2006 10:08 AM Package data transmitted to FedEx"

What is the heck? Nov 12th @ 10:08 am?? How can that be correct? I live in Canada, and I'm in the Atlantic time where is was 2:08am when I received the e-mail. Where the heck is apple shipping from? I checked and it seems that my Macbook is being shipped from somewhere around Saudi Arabia! WTF? Where does Apple ship from? I would of thought it would of came from Rancho Cordova, CA.

The Stig

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
You mind as well go pick one up at a local Apple Store (if you got one nearby) cuz I got mines today rather than waiting for those slow shipping dates. :p

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Apple Store

The closet apple store is a 12 hour drive away. I think I'll just wait for them to ship it. You have a C2D MB?? Pictures? How does it work? Problems? Praise?

The Stig

clicq

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
I just got my shipment notification too. It is shipping through FedEx. I checked the tracking number and it says:

"Nov 12, 2006 10:08 AM Package data transmitted to FedEx"

What is the heck? Nov 12th @ 10:08 am?? How can that be correct? I live in Canada, and I'm in the Atlantic time where is was 2:08am when I received the e-mail. Where the heck is apple shipping from? I checked and it seems that my Macbook is being shipped from somewhere around Saudi Arabia! WTF? Where does Apple ship from? I would of thought it would of came from Rancho Cordova, CA.

The Stig

I believe the Macbooks come out of a factory in China (which better matches the time/date) -- I wouldn't trust the date/time of the email, as it's likely delayed (on Fedex's site, mine is also around 10am, but I got the email nearly 12am EST, which I think is 1am your time? So i got my shipment notification an hour before yours). Regardless, whenever Fedex scans the shipment again, then we'll know for sure where it's coming from.

I too am too far away from an Apple store, and they wouldn't have the 2GB model anyway (and I read in other posts that the RAM upgrade costs more in store anyway).

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Had mine since Tuesday evening... Speed is excelent...

Problems: FANS TURN ON WAY TOO MUCH... Iddle at start 45C, but as soon as I open Firefox, fan comes on mildly at temps around 51 to 53C... white noise... Now if I open 5 tabs, Adium, Photoshop, and perhaps stress it with Parallels, temperature goes right to 68+ and fans turn to super speed, really loud, like a big fan blowing at you... This is annoying, especially if I would consider using it in meetings - people will kick me out if it does that... Is this the same thing as the MOO... It's not specific moo but just the fan noise. What can I do about it?

Right now as I type this with the programs described opened the temperature is at 63C with fans on mild... Now, even if I close everything, the cpu will not drop bellow about 58... unless I stress it out and then close everything. The fans turn to boost which will bring it back to about 53...

Couldn't they have some ultra quiet fans - I'm sure it's possible by putting slightly more money into the fan... We'll see, I'm testing it now, but did not try to run it yet as if I would be in a meeting where I will need parallels with excel and sigmastat open plus the mac word, endnote, and firefox... I guess as long as I open everything before the meeting, and do not perform any major computational tasks, it will be fine... I don't know..

Those that received their C2D macbook, please let me know what you are experiencing...

I have the 2GHz model and planning to upgrade the RAM. Reading above, yes, in store they wanted 357 to upgrade the ram with the edu discount. Basically they were selling me two sticks of one GB ram... Instead, since I wanted to get it from the store in Delaware, I opted for Newegg ram at 209 matched pair kit for 2Gb at 209 including shipping... Hopefully I'll be able to get at least 50 bucks or so for my 1gb ram to make up the difference from the apple upgrade (157 with edu online). Newegg ram will be here by Monday...

clicq

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
Romulus: Have you had a PC laptop before (or can you compare the fan noise to one - is it louder/fans come on more often or what)? I ask because I've used laptops from Dell and Toshiba before, and those had fans that came on fairly often and were noticeably loud, though not loud enough to get you kicked out of a meeting...

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Sorry, I actually cannot compare it to much... I had a Dell, but I got it used and it had an inherent problem with noise, thus I was able to get a deal... the reason I went with this MB is ofcourse OS X, but also needed something quiter for meetings - the Dell I did not bring in.

My friend has a Centrino winbook 12" and that thing does not have the turbo boost fans... At least I never heard them... some white noise is normal and does not bother me... that's what I get in the MB... but the turbo boost bothers me...

OK, now I've been running for about 30 minutes 1 firefox window with 4 tabs, microsoft word idle in background, parallels with xp, excel, and online bible software, adium, and the temperature monitor... All programs have been iddle, meaning I switch to them and type like 1 word just to keep them awake, but using only firefox... CPU A: 66C, the history window for the last hour shows minimum of 60 maximum of 68...

Fans are running right now at mild speed... at about 66 they go somewhat hire, but as soon as I do anything more I think I'm gonna get the turbo boost... let's see... Ha, it outsmarted me... not really, but basically I was already at 66, it was going to 67 so fans turned to about 50%... I started photoshop, but the fans were already fighting the temperature, so they just kicked in to about 75% and been stable at 75%, which is loud, but not horibly loud... the fact is that while in Photoshop, the fans just could not cool the processor, and it was shifting between 65 to 68C... More RAM may help me as the Photoshop still runs through Rosetta... I don't know... will report then... you got to consider that I have quite a few programs already opened and idling... including parallels...

Idle temperature right now at 63C again... (well, it's not idle, but basically without direct intensive tasks on the processor)... Fans running at about 30%... Percentages are subjective compared to the maximum speed... Up untill about 50% it is white noise, above that it is a fan but bearable, full boost is annoying...

I'd like to hear more feedback... Have 14 days to fully test it and return if it does not work for me, even though I think it will work... I've put way too much work into customization of everything... Honestly, I love OS X... hardware though, in my opinion, could be better... Like the left side wall, where all the ports are, well, it's not one piece with the top right - not only that, but it's not even glued together and it creaks when you push on it... That's unacceptable...

What are my options though - I want OS X and small form factor... Wish they had the 12" MBPs... Or I'd wait for the smaller size processors that Intel is brining in a year, but do not have the time... Oh well...

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
edit: Sorry, I've had a C2D MacBook since Wednesday, the day they were announced...

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Ooops, my fault - I did get it on Wed... Just rechecked my calendar... I'm just kind of stressing out - it's a big investment for me, and I've been waiting for it since early September... That's why I am stressing about this issue - everything else is working out very well... It feels like I've had it for much longer... I thing this thing has been used more in the last week than my other Dell in a month...

You know what's funny, it seems to be working better now than the first day I got it...

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Ooops, my fault - I did get it on Wed... Just rechecked my calendar... I'm just kind of stressing out - it's a big investment for me, and I've been waiting for it since early September... That's why I am stressing about this issue - everything else is working out very well... It feels like I've had it for much longer... I thing this thing has been used more in the last week than my other Dell in a month...

You know what's funny, it seems to be working better now than the first day I got it...

That's cool. Just making sure you didn't have a secret source or something ;)

Dubba

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Nairobi, Kenya
I placed an order for my C2D White MacBook on Friday night. It has the following specs:

2.0 GHz
2GB RAM (Apple)
160GB HD (5400 RPM)
All other base specs​

This machine is a replacement for a 12" PowerBook that I bought in November 2004 which died and was replaced by a 15" CD MacBook Pro by AppleCare. I managed to sell that machine at what it would have cost me had I bought it with a student discount in the US.

I was seriously considering getting the 17" MacBook Pro, but I really couldn't justify the extra $1,150 (after tax and including AppleCare) for the larget machine. The biggest issue to me was screen size, and I can buy a 23" inch Apple Cinema Display to go with my MacBook for less than that.
I am waiting for it to arrive...

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
My Macbook is in China

Nov 12, 2006 1:20 PM

Picked up

SUZHOU CN

Package received after FedEx cutoff

I don't like that "FedEx cutoff" stuff but I'm happy to know where it is. China is kinda far away. I'm on the east coast of Canada. So it really is half away around the world!!

The Stig

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Mine is waiting to be shipped 14th Nov... delivered 23/24th Nov... 2 weeks after original order :( Oh well

I think he's talking about the Macbook and not Macbook Pro. But I'll help you hope it's shipped soon - if only because I hope mine will ship very soon too :)

ndf9

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2006
hy
i ordered friday a withe MacBook C2D in a store in Portugal

2Ghz

120 Gb

Delivery time 3- 4 weeks:(

But wath i read over the review with the Fan noise is not very good.:eek:

By Nic

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
hy
i ordered friday a withe MacBook C2D in a store in Portugal

2Ghz

120 Gb

Delivery time 3- 4 weeks:(

But wath i read over the review with the Fan noise is not very good.:eek:

By Nic

I hate to tell you this, but I've had a few macbooks and since the first firmware update, they all have the loud fan under relatively low stress conditions. I do feel that after the latest SMC update, my macbook is a little better, especially at revving down after the load has dropped. It used to take a few minutes, now it happens almost immediately.

I wonder what the latest MBPs are like?

ironring2006

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Ontario, Canada

Picked up

SUZHOU CN

I don't like that "FedEx cutoff" stuff but I'm happy to know where it is. China is kinda far away. I'm on the east coast of Canada. So it really is half away around the world!!

The Stig
Hey Stig, looks like our MB our going to be shipping buddies, because here's what mine says as well:

Picked up
SUZHOU CN

As you can tell from my info, I'm east coast Canada too. Mine initially had a shipping date of Nov. 13-15 and delivery date of Nov. 24-Dec 4. I'm hoping it gets here sometime this week though. I ordered mine last Wednesday pretty much as soon as the Apple Canada online store would let me. Got the 2GHz white upgraded with 2GB RAM. When did you order yours?

Apple store isn't really an option for Canadians unless they live in the Toronto or Montreal area. We have a few resellers here in town, but the two main ones won't give the edu discount, and the university store is always slow in getting the new stuff in. They're still selling the 1G nanos at the old prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.