256 Base Storage & 200 iCloud?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maka344, Jan 16, 2017.

1. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

There's a lot of people buying 16 base models due to the discounts available.

My question is around storage, how are people managing storage? I'm not taking about professional photography based requirements but someone like me who has around 50gb photos/, bit of music and word type documents.

On my 14 MBP, I did run into issues due to a couple of iPhone backups etc.

How well does a hybrid type (local and iCloud) work?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Everyone storage requirements are different, many people don't have 50GB of photos, or a lot of music.

I'll go out on a limb and say many of the people buying the base model are doing so because it fits their needs. I don't think they bought it knowing that the drive is insufficient for their data.

There are options, including using iCloud, or an external drive.

3. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I pay 99 cents a month for 50GB of Apple storage and $24.99 a year for iTunes Match, All my photos and music are in the cloud, I access them from all my apple devices. My photos take up about 25 GB in the cloud but only take up 6 GB on the device because the hi res photos is in the cloud. My iTunes shows it is using no storage, but I have playlists directly downloaded so it must be using some.

My device backups are in the cloud as well and not on the devices. It works well. I recently sold a iPad Pro in December and a few days ago picked up a iPad mini 4. I down loaded the iPad Pro backup from the cloud to the Mini. After about 30 minutes it was setup just like the Pro I had a few weeks prior.