256 rMBP boot camp partition HD space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webjeff, Jul 28, 2012.

1. webjeff macrumors member

I was wondering how ppl went about splitting up their 256 hd between ML and Windows? Even 128 - 128? 100 - 150?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

It's a personal preference as to how much you think you will need on each side.

3. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I was giving 50 to my Windows 7 partition.. but I just exchanged for the 512 ssd today after realizing that I was running out of space after only 2 weeks of use. Now i have 75 partitioned to Windows.

4. eeclipse16 macrumors member

I only use Windows for a couple small Windows only programs so I just gave it 30GB which left me with around 4GB free space after the OS and drivers install.

5. unwinded macrumors regular

I made my bootcamp partition 90GB. I mostly use it for games only and wanted to give it enough room for a few games to be run from the SSD (with the rest on a USB HD). You can shave off over 20GB (or more depending on your RAM) by disabling system restore, hibernation, and the page file. System restore is useless.

If you're savvy enough to install Windows on a Mac, then you are the kind of person who has no use for system restore. It's meant for mom and dad and even then it's not very good. Windows probably isn't your primary OS, and even if it was, hibernation sucks. Compared to sleep, it would be better on battery and if you're running on battery it would be nice to hibernate to save your work before it runs out. That would only affect a minority of people though. Hibernate is slow, booting from the SSD is fast as it is. Disable it.

Disabling the page file is a debatable topic. If OSX is your primary environment, it's probably worth removing. 8GB is plenty for 2012. If you're the kind of person who uses windows a lot and does a ton of multitasking (or uses the windows version of photoshop which requires it), you might need it. That's not most people. Most games are 32-bit too and don't even use more than 4GB of ram. Some rare programs and games require it. In my experience, it's fine.

6. jcpb macrumors 6502a

512gb, took 160gb out for windows.

Run cmd with admin privileges, type powercfg -h off.
    Goto System Properties, virtual memory, no pagefile.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depends on what your planning to do with it. Play games or other large demanding apps - then I'd give it 75 to 128. Office and some other business type apps, I'd go with 40 to 60.