256 SSD bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alainc, Jul 20, 2011.

1. alainc macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before but I couldn't find an answer after 30 mins of research on google.

I have an 2011 i7 iMac with a 256gb primary drive plus 1TB internal. To my knowledge, windows 7 can only be installed on the primary drive?

I'm looking to use win 7 on bootcamp plus parallel. Will only use it for work, to watch blu-ray and some basic music production software.

Now a 256 gb ssd has a very expensive dollar to storage ratio, so I'm looking for an answer as to how much size should I allocate for the windows 7 partition without affecting mac OSX's performance. I have heard elsewhere that a 40 gb space for windows is sufficient, if not, what will the be optimal size? FYI, Im looking at installing the windows 7 home premium 64-bit edition.

2. clark1 macrumors newbie

I have been hoping for educated guidance feedback to your question. I am a new iMac with nearly the same system, but i5 instead of i7. I have my copy of Windows 7 Professional but not yet installed. I have also held off on Parallels or VM Fusion as well as Lion. I wanted to let the initial anticipated bugs with Lion settle and learn how well Parallels and Fusion work with it. I am not a gamer, and will use Windows primarily for older legacy PC programs on my older PC notebook. I believe virtual machine will probably handle my needs, but still attracted to the idea of being able to run Windows 7 natively and at best efficiency should I want or need to. I too am concerned how much of the SSD would be and should be utilized if I configure via Bootcamp.

Will

3. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

Bootcamp assistant allows you to set things up on any internal hard drive. I'm not sure about imacs, but I didn't have to set any jumpers on either of my two internal hard drives in my MBP, so I dont think windows would have any trouble installing to the secondary (my W7 install is on my secondary, but it was the only drive in the system when I set it up). On the other issue, as long as you aren't using heavy graphics (newer games/extensive 3d modeling), virtulization should be just fine.

As far as size goes, the native windows install is 12GB with paging, hibernation, and restore turned off (i think the fresh install is closer to 20). If I recall correctly, the base VM install is 8GB.

4. alainc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer. So double the size of the win 7 should suffice?

5. clark1 macrumors newbie

6. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

As you probably know, the partition size is pretty much set in stone once you set up bootcamp, so I'd say 30gb is about the absolute minimum I would consider. If you can, I'd go higher than that, but it sounds like you want osx & w7 on the ssd, so just remember to keep a good amount of space free for the SSDs internal operations.

7. MJL macrumors 6502a

One of the things I am concerned about is the TRIM support under Windows and under OS X and if they'll conflict or not.

By the way you may want to read up on the Intel Website about over provisioning of a SSD (leaving a chunk unallocated, e.g. not partitioned) - it can extend your life of the SSD considerably and not the least increase performance considerably while at the same time lowering the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) I have on my windows machine an Intel X25M 80Gb and allocated only 48 Gb, performance and life expectancy both improved nearly by a factor 5........