256 ssd enough for my imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ukeman, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Ukeman macrumors member

I apologize if there is another thread for this topic, but in the last couple months I've decided:
    - that the existing model (w/Sandy Bridge) is plenty enough of an upgrade from my24", late '08 3.06 Ghz, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD, and wanting good speed for just web browsing, email, some photo, lots of movie streaming, and occasional music on Garage Band.
    I am so ready to pull the trigger on a new 27" 3.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 256 SSD.

My question is how many would get just the 256 GB SSD?
    After 4 years I've only used about 2GB of storage and a lot of that is stuff that I'd gladly give the heave-ho to. I'm sure it's enough for my use.

I figure that upgrading to 3.4 Ghz, and SSD would not only give me the most fun (efficiency) but if I had to, easy resale value.

Is it true that once you get the 256 ssd, you can't upgrade to more space?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I would. I don't store much on my drive, and I want sexy fast-loading OS and applications (and swap space if it comes it it).

Sort-of. You can't upgrade to more space inside the chasis, without a lot of effort and voiding the warranty. You can certainly get an external drive, though.

3. Ukeman thread starter macrumors member

i just contacted my local mac store; "mac made easy", asking for an above model, and he said that apple doesn't make an imac with only the 256 SSD.
    I wasn't so sure I wanted to drive the 1/2 hour to the store and pick it up vs. apple delivering free to my door anyway, so i just said thanks.

Went to applestore and they were ready to ship just like that as advertised; 256 ssd only. He told me that the 256ssd + 1T HDD would take 10 days...

I was just over on the "why wait" thread and after hearing that the '12 model will likely have ssd at better price and possibly inherently, i'm back to waiting... (my 24" late '08 3.06 ghz is mint).