256 ssd or 500 ssd ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jigsb007, Aug 1, 2012.

1. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

:confused:hi all,

how much total space does ML takes ( including iphoto , imovie , garageband..etc..) ? withh fully apdated + 2 VM + MS office on atlest 2 of them. and may be Photoshop or Aparture.

for my photos/videos/music i dont mind external HDD/SSD.

cant dedice on SSD for my rMBP.:confused:
    Comments please..

2. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Virtual Machines shouldn't take that much space since they dynamically allocate memory.

You'd probably be fine with 256GB if you're fine keeping your media libraries external.

3. HighEndMac macrumors regular

Check out the poll i have going on another thread on peoples set-ups. Looks like the 2.6/16/256 is winning , but i would go for the 512. The word is you will be able to upgrade the SSD in the future.

4. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

R u sure? i thought rMBP r not upgradable. if i buy 256 , can i later upgrade my SSD ? i know its not user upgradable. but can apple do it ? for how much ?

5. HighEndMac macrumors regular

I don’t think Apple would do it, it’s like upgrading the 2011 models. Its just a matter of time before aftermarket companies produce a replica 'harness' if you will that will mimic the current flash storage module. It’s all speculation at this point but that is the word on the street.