256 SSD or 512SSD with hdd (looking for read/write speeds)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waboosh, Jul 11, 2013.

1. waboosh macrumors newbie

Okay so first off 256 will be enough for what I plan to do, I think. I want my os and applications on the ssd and everything else on my hdd.

I do video editing if that means anything, but I keep all of those files on externals for numerous reasons, and this wont every change.

I'm getting the samsung 840 pro, already decided on this too haha

so mainly what I'm wondering is, is there a read/write difference between the 256gb model and the 512gb model and will I notice it/ is it worth the money. the 256 wont even be close to 1/4 full based off of my projections. But money isnt an issue if it is needed as im going to maximum performance.

thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can see them here with side by side test results. Very slight difference and certainly not worth the price premium if you don't need to the space.

Usually the big bump on speeds is from 128GB to 256GB because of the way thr chips are configured in the 256GB.

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

That link is to compare the non-Pro models. Here's the Pro comparison...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/665?vs=743

4. waboosh thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you both very much!

I see you got the 512gb version was it more of a memory thing than speed? cuz from that link they look identical

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I went with the 512 for space, I've already used 173GB on the SSD and didn't want to have to worry about shuffling things around unnecessarily. With the 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD setup I should have enough space to last a long time. :)

Love the SSD, btw. Haven't had any issues with it. Good luck and enjoy!

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Be aware that unless your uMBP is 2011 or newer there won't be a difference as the SDD will be bottlenecked by SATA-2.

___

8. waboosh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for lookin out for me (seriously tho, no sarcasm), i have an early 2011 i7 2.7 with upgraded 16gb ram so I think from my research everything should work

9. waboosh thread starter macrumors newbie

quick question, I've been looking them over and tried to do some research but cant seem to find an answer. I don't know a lot about the data in those results but do you think the price justifies the speed boost? I will have about 16gb in apps 20 max from other stuff and then 8gb for os

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Given those test results with the drives almost exactly equal in every measure, I would be very surprised if anybody could even tell the difference in a blind test of the drives side by side. If you don't need the extra space, I see absolutely no reason to spend the extra money. Heck, in some of those measure the smaller drive actually does a tiny bit better.

11. waboosh thread starter macrumors newbie

okay awesome, like i said i do video editing so no files will really be on my computer i use a 1tb fw800 connection and don't really plan on changing from that

thank you very much

12. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

The SSD will work in your main bay, but your current HDD may not (if the Apple is using a SATA3 OEM HDD). You have a SATA3 optibay, but it may not work reliably with a SATA3 drive. I think it should do fine at SATA2 speeds, but it may not; folks have reported difficulties with SATA3 HDDs in there as well.

>