Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intelliot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
I'm considering the Apple 27" LED Thunderbolt Cinema Display, but I don't want to overpay. I wouldn't mind considering a display from some other display maker, whether it's Samsung, Viewsonic, Dell -- as long as it's a good value, and a good quality display.

So, what are the best alternatives to the Apple Display?

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
Unfortunately there aren't many 1440p displays out there I do agree with you thy the apple disPlay is pretty expensive but so are the other displays from other companies I think lg has one for 850 that will be exactly the same as the apple display because apple buys them from lg but that is about the cheapest unfortunately you do pay a premium for such a high quality display I would maybe buy 2 1080p displays or even 1 27inch 1080p display which will be as low as 300

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
HP ZR2740w is the only option outside of the UK. in the UK, there's also the Hazro HZ27.

since they're out there, the Dell U2711 and DoubleSight DS275 and 277 are also options, but they're not true alternatives to the ACD since they're wide-gamut displays, not sRGB.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
The dell u2711 is usually cheaper than the Apple, but the NEC are always more expensive, although one is $500 more but has a hardware color monitor.

The dell has more impute but I don't care for their anti-glare coating, not sure how bad it is on the 2711 but it's frost on my u2410.

The nice thing about the apple is the USB, FireWire, Ethernet hub.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
The nice thing about the apple is the USB, FireWire, Ethernet hub.

Don't forget about the Facetime camera..:) None of the others have it.. And I for one seem to be using services like Skype and Facetime more frequently now.

If spending that amount of $$$ for that resolution, I would just go ahead and buy the Thunderbolt Display (only if your MBP is a 2011, though) as the daisy chain feature is awesome. Considering Apple is headed in the Thunderbolt Direction anyways, it would be a good alternative to future proof your set up. Who knows what TB peripherals pop up when adoption of the standard grows (cheaper and more powerful external memory drives, external graphics cards, etc..)

I any case, it's a display that will be very useful for a long time, and with good re sale value..

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
As everyone already stated, in the 2560 x 1440 realm, there aren't many "cheaper" screens. At least not significantly. And those that are somewhat cheaper (i.e. Dell 2711), you lose out on all the thunderbolt goodness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.