Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
256 for me. Until it runs macOS I don't see a need to store a lot of data on the Vision Pro itself. I also have iCloud storage already so, there's just no point IMO.

Reactions: SirithX

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
256 for me. Until it runs macOS I don't see a need to store a lot of data on the Vision Pro itself. I also have iCloud storage already so, there's just no point IMO.

Same. I don't see the value of having more space, especially when there's no cable connection available for fast transfer either (except the dev strap which is neither a good or consumer-friendly solution). 256 is plenty for apps and eventually whenever Netflix, YouTube, etc. arrive, downloading videos for offline viewing.

Reactions: Dovahkiing

OnTheeRize

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
Bay Area
1TB because I dont want to have to deal with storage issues.
Instead of the apple case I got the extra storage. Bought a cheaper case on amazon instead.

Last edited:

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Same. I don't see the value of having more space, especially when there's no cable connection available for fast transfer either (except the dev strap which is neither a good or consumer-friendly solution). 256 is plenty for apps and eventually whenever Netflix, YouTube, etc. arrive, downloading videos for offline viewing.
Exactly! The only way to even put files on it in the first place is to upload them to iCloud first!

The one big use-case for local storage I see is people that travel frequently to have a decent library of content to choose from. But for my 1-2 flights per year I'm fine to just plan ahead.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm actually glad I got the 512GB. While I haven't yet used 256GB, I could see it happening sooner than later given how large some of these 6K and 8K 3D 180º videos are turning out to be -- around 10GB for 25 minutes at higher bit rates. Crazy. Not to mention Apple or Disney+ 3D movies of which I've downloaded a few onto my AVP.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I'm planning on picking one of these up in the US next week. How's the storage usage panning out now that everyone has had theirs for a while?

Feels like 256/512 are the most popular options? I won't be away from a connection much other than on a few long haul flights a year I guess.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I'm planning on picking one of these up in the US next week. How's the storage usage panning out now that everyone has had theirs for a while?

Feels like 256/512 are the most popular options? I won't be away from a connection much other than on a few long haul flights a year I guess.
I got the 1 TB because I always max out storage. I have a lot of photos and 4K videos I like to keep local if possible. To me the storage has worked just like it does on an iPhone or iPad. So no special considerations on VP for storage that I’ve encountered.

Hope you enjoy your trip. If possible, go to an Apple Store to get fitted for the light shield. Enjoy!

Reactions: ascender

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
256GB, mainly because local friendly scalpers offered quite a limited choice (I'm not from the US).

I guess I'll be fine though, as I use a different device to watch movies on the go, so I won't be keeping that many hudge video files on the Vision Pro. Also, the "spatial computer" seems more like "spatial iPad" due to the OS constrains, so it's not really a MacBook replacement after all.

Reactions: ascender

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Thank you!

If I order online for collection at the store will they do a fitting of the light shield? Or do I have to book in for a specific "thing"?
The US version of the Apple app will measure you for a size. If your version doesn’t offer that you could try just picking a size. The store can size you when you pick it up and get you the correct one. If there are any American tourists where you live maybe one of them would use their app to scan you. The scan for me gave me the correct size.

Reactions: Roller and ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The US version of the Apple app will measure you for a size. If your version doesn’t offer that you could try just picking a size. The store can size you when you pick it up and get you the correct one. If there are any American tourists where you live maybe one of them would use their app to scan you. The scan for me gave me the correct size.
Perfect. The scanning went fine online and then said I could pick it up from NYC somewhere - I wasn't sure if at some point in the checkout I'd then get to a page which would offer me some sort of instore fitting. That's fine, I'll go ahead and get it reserved.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: fatTribble

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Perfect. The scanning went fine online and then said I could pick it up from NYC somewhere - I wasn't sure if at some point in the checkout I'd then get to a page which would offer me some sort of instore fitting. That's fine, I'll go ahead and get it reserved.

Thanks for your help.
To add a bit to @fatTribble's advice: If you're lucky, the scanning process picked the right one, but that wasn't so with me and many other buyers. So take as much time as you need to try different light seal/cushion sizes while you have the chance at the Apple store. Even then, you may not know for sure until you've used the AVP for days or more. Hopefully, the AVP will go on sale in your country (I assume you're from Italy) in not too long in case you have to do additional fittings.

As for storage, I got the 512GB version — it seemed like a good balance. So far, so good, though I realize I may eventually regret the decision.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Yes, I realise that's a risk @Roller so thanks for the tip, I'll take my time there with the fitting. I'm leaving towards 512GB based on what I've ready here and on Reddit etc.

Reactions: fatTribble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.